"Plugged in, not charging" Compaq Presario cq62. I'm in IT, I believe the problem is with hardware.

Coby Nerenberg

Honorable
Mar 29, 2013
I work in IT (mostly software) and i have a customer who had a Compaq Presario CQ62 (win 7) for two years, with multiple hardware wipes and OS reinstalls. A problem with the fan came up and he came to me after about a month had passed of it only working for 15 minutes before overheating. When it was broken, he did not touch the battery or anything. I fixed it, and when I booted it up, it was perfect except that now the battery refused to charge. When it starts up, the popup states "plugged in, charging" and then promptly switches to "plugged in, not charging" and stays like that. I've tried the conventional solutions (Holding down power for a minute, other quick fixes) and none of them seem to work. I updated the BIOS and ran the HP support battery check which came up with the following statement: "HP Battery Check was unable to access the battery."

I'm starting to think that when i opened and half-dismantled the laptop to clean the fan, I may have accidently unplugged a wire or something. I'm not usually a hardware guy and I really don't know what to make of this. I cannot figure out whether this is a software or hardware problem. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Solution
It's quite possible that the battery has simply died. Given that it cannot "access" the battery, and connecting the charger to the jack shows the messages you mention, I would hazard a guess that this is the case.
Laptop batteries are (usually) fairly inexpensive, and if this does not solve the issue, then you have a fresh battery in any case.

If that solution fails, I would invest more time in searching for wires that you think you may have disconnected in your fan replacement.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Essdub8

Honorable
Feb 13, 2012
It's quite possible that the battery has simply died. Given that it cannot "access" the battery, and connecting the charger to the jack shows the messages you mention, I would hazard a guess that this is the case.
Laptop batteries are (usually) fairly inexpensive, and if this does not solve the issue, then you have a fresh battery in any case.

If that solution fails, I would invest more time in searching for wires that you think you may have disconnected in your fan replacement.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Solution

Coby Nerenberg

Honorable
Mar 29, 2013

Hopefully that'll work, just ordered a new one on ebay. Thanks for the advice!

TomCat1

Honorable
Nov 4, 2013
You must check connections for making sure that all are fine. If connections are fine then you must get a new battery. I like to suggest an external battery which can work with your existing battery and also charge many other electronic devices with ease and economy. Here is a collection of such batteries:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008EG64PC?tag=informati0c0c-20&camp=0&creative=0&linkCode=as1&creativeASIN=B008EG64PC&adid=1BBANEV14H1F7QH12SMR&