Police: Google Maps Can Also Deliver Dangerous Directions

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Wow, is this really a story?? Some fanboi is scraping the barrel dont you think?

G

Don't always rely on one source of mapping to find what you need, especially if you are a tourist at a far away place. Also, remember to look out for road sings.

G

THIS JUST IN: The guy standing at the corner can ALSO deliver dangerous directions!

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
If it isn't designed for traffic, don't mark it as a road in the directory you give to Google then.
Plus.. Google routes around the road unless the destination is on the road so what gives?

G

LuckyDucky7

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
One one hand... yeah, Apple Maps is an abomination. "It just works", indeed.

On the other hand, shouldn't these tourists have thought that this town's (errant) existence in the middle of nowhere was a little strange? Or, when they arrive at the "destination" and see there's nothing there, shouldn't they have thought to turn back?

So while the Maps servers should be automatically sanity-checking results (like flagging towns appearing in no-town areas), shouldn't the tourists themselves be doing that also?

For instance, my GPS unit tried to route me down a one-way/no-way street in some city, but I didn't drive that way because there were signs and the road was blocked off- I'm not trusting the GPS in the way that the Roadrunner trusts Wile E. Coyote's paintings on the side of the mountain.

But why are these people willingly driving down this road? Is it just Google's/Apple's fault?
Shouldn't there be, well, road signs? Granted, this is Australia, but if they can afford to put out press releases they can at least afford some distance (or in this case, one-way) signs.

mscott_42

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012
I drove my car into a lake. Why you may ask did I do this? Well, because of a machine. A machine told me to drive into a lake. And I did it! I did it because I trusted Google's precious technology, and look where it got me.

G

This just in.

a stupid is, a stupid does.

You could always use, well.... your BRAIN. /retards.

becherovka

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
Colac 10,000 people and its got a wrong turn. Australian police are stupid, first they save complete idiots that can't read a sign and now they compare google maps to apple maps.

acerace

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
[citation][nom]jupiter optimus maximus[/nom]Don't always rely on one source of mapping to find what you need, especially if you are a tourist at a far away place. Also, remember to look out for road sings.[/citation]

Well, where have I been all this time. Road is singing now?

Status
Not open for further replies.