Police Use Remote Flying Drone to Catch Car Thief

Status
Not open for further replies.

karenskym

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
[citation][nom]sliem[/nom]40k to build that bot? why not use Lojack?[/citation]

Obviously, the drone has more uses than just catching car thieves as stated in the article.

turbolover22

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
The video shows 'somebody' getting out of the car. It doesn't directly say that it is the suspect, but then it shows the cops pointing guns at him and arresting him. How hard is it for the drone to find the guy if he is still in the car???

thejester420

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
These drones will soon be equipped with so-called non-lethal weapons to combat protesters and anyone who is non-compliant towards the governments evil regime

http://www.infowars.com/surveillance-drones-to-zap-protesters-into-submission/

Raid3r

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
Its always a matter of time and matter of ignorance if you can find yourself saying "oh why would they do that", then ask "why wouldn't they". Their is a limit to every point.

Square_Head

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
"and to crack down on anti-social behavior." WTF! So being anti-social is now a crime? I don't want to be social and now I have worry about a helicopter flying into my house to arrest me?

G

Isn't there a little drone you can buy for $500 for the iphone?

http://ardrone.parrot.com/parrot-ar-drone/en/ looks pretty similar, except for the thermal, though im sure thermal vision isn't worth $39500

ossie

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2008
Were the pigs bored of the big brother style police state surveillance, and did incidentally catch a single "suspected thief" in two years? Great accomplishment, and marvelous efficiency for tax money lu$ers...

shoelessinsight

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2009
[citation][nom]Square_Head[/nom]"and to crack down on anti-social behavior." WTF! So being anti-social is now a crime? I don't want to be social and now I have worry about a helicopter flying into my house to arrest me?[/citation]

Despite it being commonly used as such, anti-social does not mean being a loner or introverted. In its proper, technical use, the term anti-social refers to any behavior that is inconsiderate and/or damaging towards others or the property of others.

Thus, when the article mentions cracking down on anti-social behavior, it is referring to crimes committed by one person against an other, including, but not limited to, disorderly conduct, theft, or assault.

So feel free to lock yourself away in a dark room with your computer, hidden away from the eyes of the world. As far as the police are concerned, you're a model citizen. =)

Clintonio

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2008
[citation][nom]Square_Head[/nom]"and to crack down on anti-social behavior." WTF! So being anti-social is now a crime? I don't want to be social and now I have worry about a helicopter flying into my house to arrest me?[/citation]

Anti-social is the opposite to social. Not being social is being asocial.
Social: Interacting with other people in a positive manner
Asocial: Not interacting with other people
Anti-Social: Interacting with other people in a negative manner.

ie; Shouting abuse at people in the street while smoking drugs, wearing hooded tops in large groups, is anti-social. Sitting in your basement is asocial, and going to the mall with your friends is social.

Hope this clears up what us Brits mean by "anti-social" for the US readers a bit!

Clintonio

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2008
(@Toms editors: EDIT BUTTON PLEASE)

Also, a comparison to the terms is with theism:
Theist: Believes in higher power(s)
Atheist: Doesn't believe in higher powers
Anti-theist: Against the belief in higher powers

Status
Not open for further replies.