Political: Apple Rejects Healthcare App

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rick_h

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006
As an expert on health reform I can say without hesitation that this application is nothing more than biased political propraganda intended to distort the truth about health care reform. Therefore, I applaud the actions of Apple and will continue to purchase their excellent products.

cjtsparhawk

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
Also lost in this argument is that its not the QUALITY of the care that is causing problems, its the COST of the care for some that do. The system is getting bogged down by politicians (of every stripe and ilk) and insurance and medical companies being in bed with each other, and giving especially insurance companies laws that favor them over the consumer. It should be elected officials conscientiously monitoring companies for unfair practices and fostering competition. Also, how can so bad of a "medical system" produce more than double the rest of the worlds Nobel peach prizes?

America is about Life, Liberty and the PURSUIT of happiness. Note our founding fathers knew better than to try to say that Good Health is a fundamental right since that is simply impossible to attain.

rick_h

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006
[citation][nom]techguy378[/nom]By the way, anyone against government run healthcare is a moron. The USA's healthcare is as bad as a third world country. Countries suchas Canada and Germany have the best healthcare in the world.[/citation]
Go live in Europe and live us American's free to live. It's liberal like you that have destroyed this once great country

bsteph1989

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2008
let apple do what they want, what they do or apps a person might submit does not change or alter my views any one way or the other, i have my informed opinion and i will let it stay there, they are a company and what they do internally is up to them, if you agree or disagree its not your decision, it is theirs, and i hope it stays that way, they should be able to run things the way they want as long as it's not braking trade laws or discriminating based on gender,nationality, handicap, etc. if they don't want to post app that is fine, seems no different to me than microsoft, sony, or nintendo not approving a game for their console or selling their devkits to allow a company to make games for their systems, and no one seems to have much of a problem with them. i am not an apple fan, i actually hate apple products because i have had crap luck with them, iPods, iMacs, and my old macbook all failed in some way, but i will still defend them as a company, they have every right to do what they are doing with their app store.

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Honestly, Apple has the choice to accept or deny ANY app they wish. They are a company, no matter what stocks are where (I could care less honestly) whoever is in charge of the company has free choice. They could ban ANY app they wanted, and only accept communist themed apps if they wanted. Granted this would attract a good amount of governmental disapproval, but they can do it by all means. Stop complaining if you don't like it, put it in the jail-broken store, or go somewhere else.

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
[citation][nom]jellico[/nom]You do not know what you're talking about. Consider this: Americans have better survival rates than Europeans for common cancers. Americans have lower cancer mortality rates than Canadians. Americans have better access to treatment for chronic diseases than patients in other developed countries (and that's the dirty little secret of single-payer care: rationing). Lower income Americans are in better health than comparable Canadians. Americans spend less time waiting for care than patients in Canada and the UK. People in countries with more government control of health care are highly dissatisfied and believe reform is needed (just look at the controvery in Canada over private clinics that have sprung up in defiance of the law, and how people are flocking to them). Americans are more satisfied with the care they receive than Canadians (the dissatisfaction comes from the insurance companies... that comes from lack of competition... that is the fault of government regulation). Americans have much better access to important new technologies (like medical imaging) that patients in Canada or the UK. Americans are responsible for the vast majority of ALL health care innovations.Had enough yet? Or are you going to bring up the often quoted infant mortality rate? Just in case you were thinking about it, I will point out that the US has a significant problem with illegal immigration. They come into the country, they don't get prenatal care, and then go to the emergency room when it's time to have their babies. Furthermore, our infant mortality stats are compiled by CMS and they include ALL infant deaths from preterm through 1 year of age. Most of the other countries who report infant mortality statistics do NOT include pre-term infant mortality where the baby was below a certain weight. They also have a much shorter period of include post-term (like several weeks or months). So they also fail to capture many post-term deaths that CMS includes in our statistics.[/citation]

You actually believe the false propoganda that the USA media has been spouting? Nothing the media has said in the past about government run healthcare has any factual basis. Lower income Americans do not have better healthcare than the rest of the world because they can't afford it.

rick_h

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006
So are you saying that the poor do not have access to health care in the USA? You mean that we don't have a Medicaid program? Why do we have so many Mexican illegal immigrants using are free health care system? It is obvious you are either a liar or plain stupid. Which is it?

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
[citation][nom]techguy378[/nom]You actually believe the false propoganda that the USA media has been spouting? Nothing the media has said in the past about government run healthcare has any factual basis. Lower income Americans do not have better healthcare than the rest of the world because they can't afford it.[/citation]
You may not like it because it doesn't agree with your political agenda, but those are the FACTS. NO ONE is denied health care in the US, not even non-citizens. Anyone can show up to the emergency room and get treatment. You are presenting an argument that people are denied life saving health care and are, essentially, helped into the street, and that just isn't the case.

Additionally, there are countless programs setup for lower income people to have access to health care. Here in New Mexico, if you make too much to qualify for Medicaide, you can go to the state hospital and get on their financial assistance program. You will, essentially, have a healthcare plan that requires a nominal co-pay for visits, but no premium.

I also note that, you didn't attempt to dispute any of the facts I presented (not that you could, since you wouldn't be able to find any studies to support your position). Instead, you just dismissed it as propaganda and then proceeded to rattle off one of your inane talking points. Try actually researchi

nicklasd87

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
I don't like the argument that apple is guilty of censorship. I just don't think that is the case, if they were guilty of censorship, they would block you from accessing any information regarding socialized healthcare. you can still look up all the "Facts" about healthcare on your iPhone, you just can't do it from an app that doesn't have a verifiable source. How the heck do you know that the information the app spits out is actually true?

This is what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object. Healthcare reform is a joke, the only reason other countries like England adopted socialized healthcare was because of WW2. We are not exactly in that predicament right now. I would rather be able to sue a healthcare company if they don't give me what I pay for than try to sue the government if they don't provide the care that I pay for...I don't know how you could argue against this...It's ok though, I'm in line with these insurance people and I'm paid to say this.

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
[citation][nom]jellico[/nom]You may not like it because it doesn't agree with your political agenda, but those are the FACTS. NO ONE is denied health care in the US, not even non-citizens. Anyone can show up to the emergency room and get treatment. You are presenting an argument that people are denied life saving health care and are, essentially, helped into the street, and that just isn't the case.Additionally, there are countless programs setup for lower income people to have access to health care. Here in New Mexico, if you make too much to qualify for Medicaide, you can go to the state hospital and get on their financial assistance program. You will, essentially, have a healthcare plan that requires a nominal co-pay for visits, but no premium.I also note that, you didn't attempt to dispute any of the facts I presented (not that you could, since you wouldn't be able to find any studies to support your position). Instead, you just dismissed it as propaganda and then proceeded to rattle off one of your inane talking points. Try actually researchi[/citation]

Maybe you should watch Michael Moore's movie about the sorry state of healthcare in the USA. Everything in it is 100% true. It is not someone's political view or opinion, it only contains facts. All healthcare facilities should be a public service and not a for profit business. Nobody has any right whatsoever to make a profit off of healthcare by doing things like denying people health insurance for pre existing conditions.

longerlife

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2007
"No, censorship would be the deliberate supression of information. Not wanting to associate with something because of its content is a fundamental right of people and companies."

Censorship is the removal, blocking or hiding of something, the fact that they will not allow this app is censorship. Having an open app store would NOT mean they are associated with a particular view or ANY view, merely that someone has produced an app with a particular view (otherwise Google could be said to associate itself with every view on the internet).

Anyway I am done with this 'debate'... you have all got caught up in your views on healthcare and have ignored the pertinent issue altogether, which is that Apple has unilaterally decided that it can ban an application based on someone's political views. It's not like the app advocated violence or illegal activity...

AGAIN: I have no qualified view on America's health care system.

croc

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2005
[citation][nom]jellico[/nom]You do not know what you're talking about. Consider this: Americans have better survival rates than Europeans for common cancers. Americans have lower cancer mortality rates than Canadians. Americans have better access to treatment for chronic diseases than patients in other developed countries (and that's the dirty little secret of single-payer care: rationing). Lower income Americans are in better health than comparable Canadians. Americans spend less time waiting for care than patients in Canada and the UK. People in countries with more government control of health care are highly dissatisfied and believe reform is needed (just look at the controvery in Canada over private clinics that have sprung up in defiance of the law, and how people are flocking to them). Americans are more satisfied with the care they receive than Canadians (the dissatisfaction comes from the insurance companies... that comes from lack of competition... that is the fault of government regulation). Americans have much better access to important new technologies (like medical imaging) that patients in Canada or the UK. Americans are responsible for the vast majority of ALL health care innovations.Had enough yet? Or are you going to bring up the often quoted infant mortality rate? Just in case you were thinking about it, I will point out that the US has a significant problem with illegal immigration. They come into the country, they don't get prenatal care, and then go to the emergency room when it's time to have their babies. Furthermore, our infant mortality stats are compiled by CMS and they include ALL infant deaths from preterm through 1 year of age. Most of the other countries who report infant mortality statistics do NOT include pre-term infant mortality where the baby was below a certain weight. They also have a much shorter period of include post-term (like several weeks or months). So they also fail to capture many post-term deaths that CMS includes in our statistics.[/citation]

Pull your yank-wanker head out of your yank-wanker ass once in a while and look around. US pays the highest per capita on health care in the OECD (>$6000,) has one of the highest rates of uninsured, and has one of the worst records for healthcare outcomes in the OECD (23rd). It has been a long-standing travel advisory here in AUS to make sure you have supplemental health if you visit the US, and that can add almost 1/3 to the price of airfare.

nicklasd87

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Doctor's don't have a right to make a profit doing something that very few other people can do? You have a right to deny these people the right to make a living providing a service?

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]Honis[/nom]Seriously, stop with the play by play on the apple app store. It's a privately owned store they can accept or deny anyone or anything. Much like the McDonald's no shoes no shirt no service policy.[/citation]
True. If I run a store, and I don't like you, I'll kick you out, that simple. You would do the same.

[citation][nom]techguy378[/nom]Maybe you should watch Michael Moore's movie about the sorry state of healthcare in the USA. Everything in it is 100% true. It is not someone's political view or opinion, it only contains facts. All healthcare facilities should be a public service and not a for profit business. Nobody has any right whatsoever to make a profit off of healthcare by doing things like denying people health insurance for pre existing conditions.[/citation]
Take everything Michael Moore says with a grain of salt.

r3t4rd

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
[citation][nom]croc[/nom]Pull your yank-wanker head out of your yank-wanker ass once in a while and look around. US pays the highest per capita on health care in the OECD (>$6000,) has one of the highest rates of uninsured, and has one of the worst records for healthcare outcomes in the OECD (23rd). It has been a long-standing travel advisory here in AUS to make sure you have supplemental health if you visit the US, and that can add almost 1/3 to the price of airfare.[/citation]
And your support for your claims? Also why do Canadians, Europeans, and Aussies, fly to the US for medical treatmemnt when they could get the same in thier respective country? I'm sorry but you don't live in the US...therefore you should not make any comments on our healthcare system.

For the record and to answer my question, its because the US does not have universal healthcare like the Canadians, Europeans, and you Aussies. People wait weeks to months to even years to get treatment because of universal healthcare. While in the US, due to our private healthcare system, we have better doctors and don't wait an eternity. But knock on wood, the Nobama Administration and liberals have power now.

r3t4rd

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
[citation][nom]techguy378[/nom]Maybe you should watch Michael Moore's movie about the sorry state of healthcare in the USA. Everything in it is 100% true. It is not someone's political view or opinion, it only contains facts. All healthcare facilities should be a public service and not a for profit business. Nobody has any right whatsoever to make a profit off of healthcare by doing things like denying people health insurance for pre existing conditions.[/citation]

Dude, you and I should go to "District 9". I wanna talk to those aliens. Don't worry, everything in the movie is true and it isn't anyone's political viewpoint about that movie, the movie contains facts, thats why you and I should go to Africa to see the real "District 9" aliens and how they are being treated.

Status
Not open for further replies.