Politician Blames iPad for Killing American Jobs

Status
Not open for further replies.

redzoneos

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
I just typed a novel about morons like this guy, and toms didn't save what i had typed while I tried to log in. I don't feel like retyping it anymore... needless to say I was expressing displeasure with Jesse Jackson Jr. Sadly ignorant people all over the country will believe every thing he ever preaches for the rest of his career... Thumbs up to our politicians. :\

Technology changes and jobs become obsolete. How about all the ocean liner jobs lost due to jets, electronics repair shops closed due to obscenely low prices of new stuff, blacksmiths because of the car, farm hands because of the tractor, &c?

This is a ridiculous issue to bring up how new technology effects jobs. What is more at issue is that these are not being built in the U.S.? I know people give out ridiculous numbers as to how much more electronics would cost being built. Really though would it actually be much more? I can fully disassemble and reassemble a laptop I have never seen before in less than two hours. Given that this would be on an assembly line with most of the work being done by machines I couldn't imagine more than 15 minutes going into a laptop let alone an iPad. So maybe add $5 on the price.

burnley14

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]velocityg4[/nom]This is a ridiculous issue to bring up how new technology effects jobs. What is more at issue is that these are not being built in the U.S.? I know people give out ridiculous numbers as to how much more electronics would cost being built. Really though would it actually be much more? I can fully disassemble and reassemble a laptop I have never seen before in less than two hours. Given that this would be on an assembly line with most of the work being done by machines I couldn't imagine more than 15 minutes going into a laptop let alone an iPad. So maybe add $5 on the price.[/citation]

I don't doubt that you could do this, but how much would you expect to get paid for it? At least $35k/year I'm guessing. Ship it off to China and they'll do it for a tiny fraction of that. That's why almost everything in our country is assembled somewhere else--people in menial labor jobs expect to be paid well for performing tasks a chimpanzee could do.

CPU666d1

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2011
Yeah it is true what Jesse Jackson Jr. said. This iPad will destroy jobs,because it can download newspaper articles,etc. Thus people will eventually lose their jobs if not enough people buy newspapers and magazines. Less people read newspapers and magazines,so less people needed for work in those factories. Also iPad will do what he said in the way of technology. The only thing is that the more wealthy of us will benefit from the iPad at first,but in the end if there are no jobs created in the U.S.A. than there will be less money to spread around for people to buy these same products. Thus eventually a poorer country and thus also,less of the wealthier people around.

CPU666d1

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2011
Don't forget "idea and design made up in California and made in China". Good for the chinese,but bad for our own home grown people. Meaning that their jobs are being offloaded overseas.

G

Ignorant people will continue to exist for a long long time ... trying to stand in the way of progress ...

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
While complaining about the jobs that can become obsolete from the tech is somewhat pointless. I can however understand the frustration of such but when new and better ways are found they should be used we should never hold ourselves back.

He however does make one valid point the product is actually more harmful to America economically when its viewed by itself alone. The majority spent to make them is in China which where most of the money will stay. While the product here creates virtually no jobs in America and is simply consumed which is going to a corporation which will simply grow richer and once again dump more money into China becoming a vicious circle.

Now I know some conservative reading this will think "Well if Americans didn't demand such high pay and workers rights this problem wouldn't exist to begin with" While this may be true
how does vastly lowering the average American's income and therefor way of life solve anything? This would just make the situation worse. Sadly its not enough for corporations to walk away with a decent profit anymore instead what its really about is scraping every penny they can at the expense of anyone even their own workers. Sadly I work for a corporation that uses such practices we could easily bring back jobs to America and hardly notice the financial change but as small as that change may be its enough to be willing to abandon America and exploit others.

C 64

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
Didn't know iPad was around for the last 15 years or so....

And even if you don't go to the store to download the content that you want, someone still has to make that content that you just downloaded, so I guess stores will adapt to new market situations or they'll go bust. Not to mention this new market situation makes new opportunities for companies and individuals, who otherwise wouldn't have a chance against Barnes&Noble and the like.

CPU666d1

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2011
Hey mobrocket,have you ever thought that their was always jobs in the sales field. What is going on here is that most manufacturing jobs at first for the poorer of us,will disappear to overseas where it is cheaper to manufacture them "cheaper labour". Thus no jobs will be created to replace those manufacturing jobs that have been lost overseas. Thus people with less money can only afford food,rent etc. Only gangsters will be able to make more money that are from the poorer stock. So if less good people of the poorer kind can make money,thus as a result there will be less overall rich and wealthy people around. I know that people can get cheaper products from overseas and some of those rich may own those companies that live in the U.S.A. or in other western democracy countries around the world. Eventually this will create a type of third world within our western world countries.

G

This fool is as stupid as his father. who voted for him?

ipad does not eliminating job, it also keep the newspaper and magazine and books alive in the digital age so that those people will have jobs. it also increase job for programmers that writes these small programs for iphone and ipod. Yes, and it also increase job for all the idots at the apple stores selling and supporting these junks.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
This guy is an idiot to come up with this. Kindle has been around for 2 years. People are doing more and more things electronically.

Eventually, I see physical books becoming less used. Libraries may change... (electronic check out?) when a simple device can hold hundreds if not thousands of books.

All electronics are made in China because its cheaper - hence, it costs us jobs. Darn these Americans - wanting to be paid more than $5 a day to build a iPods!!!

Guess Samsungs & HP tabs are not costing American jobs.

CPU666d1

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2011
Hey hdfhajkf,if less people have money than less people will be able to afford iPad gear etc. Also I doubt if they will increase job numbers within each apple store. We will only see some new apple stores made as less people have work to buy these new products,because of the economic times that we are living in. Which are quite bad and may even get to eventually being as bad as the depression days.

spectrewind

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
[citation][nom]acadia11[/nom]Slap this fool.[/citation]

Agreed. This guy is propagandizing something, and it "ain't jobs".

1 - Freedom of speech has nothing to do with porting info through a screen. Symbolic Speech?
2 - Paper-bound books are fading into obsolescence. I still use them. Moreover, I would rather look through a paper repair manual than use a pdf.

.... I stoppled playback. This guy became annoying. I would definitely never vote for him.

CPU666d1

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2011
Hey Belardo,those companies also offload manufacturing jobs to cheaper labour countries that are overseas. That is why all this rich and wealthy policy has to stop from the good old confederate days. Yes they tried to make money out of first using slaves,than cheaper labour. Now those same types of rich go overseas to make even more cheaper gear so that they can make higher profits,but as a result there will be even more people losing their jobs in the U.S.A. Like so many store are going onto the internet to sell their products,thus will eventually need less sales staff to sell their products. Soon the big old Cloud regime will appear,where if you off load your I.T. department you can get maintenance done cheaper by the Cloud maintenance team. So how do you like that Belardo.

CPU666d1

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2011
Do not forget that maybe Jesse Jackson Jr. is using Apple as an example. Their idea's maybe made in good old California,but they get greater profits from making cheaper products in dirt cheap labour countries like china. Nothing against the chinese,because they also want there people to make money,but it is at a loss to us in the western world countries like the U.S.

CPU666d1

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2011
Also Taiwan ( a democratic country ) now makes less money as a result of factories springing up in mainland communist china,because mainland china has cheaper labour.

Status
Not open for further replies.