Poor performance GTX970M

LiquoriceTwist

Estimable
Mar 6, 2015
Hello everyone,

I recently bought a new laptop containing a GTX970M. Yet, in-game and 3D software performance is terrible. Games which are like eight years old have issues running on this.

Note: I did in fact change the Nvidia Control Panel settings so it utilizes the Nvidia GPU, I did in fact do a clean install and I did in fact change the battery setting to high performance.

According to several benchmarks I should get a way better performance than what I'm currently getting. http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-970M.126694.0.html

Does anybody have any idea what could be up? I've tried several Nvidia drivers but no luck.

Solution
well compatability issues will always be there with older software, especially with mobile gpu, keeping drivers up to date is a must! about your ''terrible'' performance, what is it exactly? can you post some numbers? having such powerfull gpu im sure you will also have capable cooling, however being a custom built, you should have your temps monitored, although a brand new one! also try gaming with a/c, if you still get the same results, only then something is wrong! i wouldnt rely on battery when asking for ultimate performance!

LiquoriceTwist

Estimable
Mar 6, 2015

It's a laptop that's made custom at a local store in my country, but here goes:

BTO X•BOOK 15CL56 NVIDIA GTX970

Graphics
15.6 inch Full-HD NON-Glare (1920x1080) / NVIDIA GTX970M-6GB

Processor
Intel® Core™ i7-4700MQ (6M Cache, up to 3.40 GHz) - 47Watt - Quad Core

Memory
8GB DDR3L (1600MHz), BTO Selected RAM

Harddisk
1000GB (1TB) 7200rpm 2.5 inch harddisk

Wireless
Intel Wireless-N 7260, single band (2.4GHz, 300 Mbps) + Bluetooth 4.0

chris987

Honorable
Jun 10, 2013
well compatability issues will always be there with older software, especially with mobile gpu, keeping drivers up to date is a must! about your ''terrible'' performance, what is it exactly? can you post some numbers? having such powerfull gpu im sure you will also have capable cooling, however being a custom built, you should have your temps monitored, although a brand new one! also try gaming with a/c, if you still get the same results, only then something is wrong! i wouldnt rely on battery when asking for ultimate performance!

Solution

LiquoriceTwist

Estimable
Mar 6, 2015

Here's my furmark score for all that matters:
http://www.ozone3d.net/gpudb/score.php?which=128846

Temps are low, stable and it's always running on a/c. I don't use the battery.

chris987

Honorable
Jun 10, 2013
well regardless of the score , furmark tests thermal stability, so does gpu reaches max clocks(core and memory) and 100% usage while testing? ensure windows power plan is also set in hgh performance. for real world peformance you should really try a game!

LiquoriceTwist

Estimable
Mar 6, 2015

I've tried several games. Some games don't utilize the full 100% of the card. (Specifically Team Fortress 2, CS:GO, etc). It's set to high performance and such.

I've looked up people playing with higher settings with several games when it comes to this setup. And I get about 50% of what other people are getting.

chris987

Honorable
Jun 10, 2013
5% is the memory utilization which is normal since its just a stess test, gpu utilization is 99% which you can verify though gpuz so this leads me to believe still remains a software problem driver related most probably. you should verify proper driver installation. you can adfitionally use this software for proper older driver removal. also make sure you chech cpu temps also.!

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html