Possible backlight issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rachelelphick2

Honorable
Feb 11, 2013
So as you will read I'm not a very technological person.
Currently, my laptop screen is almost completely black. If you look closely or shine a lamp on the screen it's much easier to read. Right now I have to hooked up to my TV is my screen.
I'm pretty sure the backlight has gone out. It was working just fine 5 hours ago and then I put it in my backpack (secured in a laptop sleeve) and it is now in the current predicament.
Any ideas for sure on what's wrong? Possible things to do to possibly help? Also, does anyone know how much it would cost to replace the backlight on a 15.6" Toshiba Satellite C655D
Thanks!
-Rachel

Max Collodi

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
First make sure that the backlight hasn't simply been turned off. Usually one of the Function keys will control this. Check your manual to determine which keys control this. Also make sure the brightness isn't turned down all the way. A Function key should control this too.

Max Collodi

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010

I've never owned a Toshiba so they may not have that function. The laptops I've had did. I guess it depends on the brand. It is a handy option to have if your doing something that doesn't require the screen if you want to save battery time.

rachelelphick2

Honorable
Feb 11, 2013

I appreciate your help but that was not it. It's simply going bad right now because it's working just fine! :)
In regards to your assistance-- If the backlight is not working at all would adjusting the screen brightness effect it? I tried that anyway and it did absolutely nothing.
Thanks! :)

jnkweaver

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011

In that case do a search and get some prices on replacing the backlight then try to take it to a local shop. If they are within 30% use them.

Status
Not open for further replies.