Possible Compatibility Issues?

clepclep

Estimable
Apr 18, 2014
Hey all,

My last computer died on me and is beyond repair. The repair company sent me back the 256 gb mSATA SSD that was in my laptop, and I plan on putting it in the Alienware 14 I am going to buy. My question is that my old computer had windows 8 and the new Alienware has windows 7. The alienware comes with a windows 7 install disk. Can I put the SSD into the alienware, boot from the default hard drive, and install windows 7 over windows 8? Or will I have compatibility issues with the files on the drive? I backed up all my files before the computer was sent for repair, so I have them on hand. Would it be easier to just wipe the drive? If so, is wiping a solid state drive the same as wiping a normal hard drive?

Thanks,

Dan

Solution
You'll have to "wipe" (reformat) the SSD before installing Windows 7 on it.
You can do that with your Windows 7 install disc (if indeed it is a proper install disc) just like reformatting a hard drive only quicker.
You probably won't be able to boot into the Windows 8 installation on your current 256 GB mSATA SSD due to differing drivers and HAL, but you CAN install Windows 7 onto the mSATA drive once you physically install it to the system (as long as the system has a mSATA slot). You'll be booting off of the install DVD and not the drive to do this.