Possible Upgrade a cpu?

Nov 24, 2018
hi guys, i wanna upgrade my processor but im still confused about the spec...

My cpu is B940, its pentium and dual core...
2 ghz and i wanna upgrade it to i7 2760qm im confuse and im bit afraid about this...
you can compare it on intel ark...
thats all...
sorry for less-detailed post

my laptop spec is

Intel Pentium B940 2 GHz 2 Core
HM65 Southbridge
Sandy Bridge Chipset
6 GB Ram Dual Channel
GPU is Intel HD Graphics

my Laptop is HP g6-1110se

Solution
First of all are you sure that the CPU isn't soldered on the motherboard? Most laptops are made like that. If it is there isn't something you can really do to change it.
Laptops are not desktops, thus they do not offer much upgrade-ability if any at all on some models.

Ragnarous

Honorable
Sep 15, 2013
First of all are you sure that the CPU isn't soldered on the motherboard? Most laptops are made like that. If it is there isn't something you can really do to change it.
Laptops are not desktops, thus they do not offer much upgrade-ability if any at all on some models.

Solution

SkyNetRising

Estimable
Jan 4, 2016
Yes, you can.
Just be aware, i7 2760qm has higher TDP rating than B940 (45W vs 35W). So your laptop will use more power, will have less battery time and may require additional cooling.

sizzling

Distinguished
Upgrading a cpu in a laptop is more tricky. Just because it has the right socket does not mean the BIOS supports it, the manufacturer may not have added support for all CPU’s using that socket. Heat is another issue, if other versions of the laptop did come with higher TDP cpu’s they may have used a different cooler, I have seen 2 laptops of same range but with different cpu’s having different cooling solutions, for example all copper instead of aluminium.

I am not saying you cannot do it but you are more likely to run into problems than with a desktop cpu upgrade.