Possibly dead backlight chip

perkpal

Commendable
Feb 19, 2016
http:// Can someone tell if something is fried on this board? Macbook pro 13" A1278. I suspect the backlight chip, it turns on with no backlight, but with sound. I have tried to reset the smc. It only turns when plugged in, when i disconnect the power adapter it immediately shuts down, it wint recognize the battery.

ffg7

Splendid
know anybody who has a monitor with a displayport in it to see if your laptop works alright thru the monitor? will need a displayport cable that has a Mini DisplayPort connector on 1 end to go into your laptop. what year is the laptop as that version goes from late 2008 to mid 2012?

perkpal

Commendable
Feb 19, 2016

Its from 2011 I think, and I don't have en external display, but now I can see that the lcd works, by holding a flashlight against the display. The board shows no sign of damage on the display connector, but some of the transistors look a bit weird. Also, some of the naked pads around the backlight fuse look red/rusty. I don't know how to find the bad component with the simple multimeter I have now.