Power button on laptop doesn't open laptop from sleep mode?? Help.

lilj0unior

Estimable
Apr 10, 2015
Ok so I have my alienware 15 laptop and for some reason when my laptop is in sleep mode and I click the power button, it doesn't open. THe button works when I hold it down to force shutdown my laptop or when I click it to open my laptop from shutdown. But when my laptop is in sleep mode and I click it, it doesn't power up. (even in hibernating mode)

Solution
Try updating the power management drivers.

First make sure that the laptop is using the most current version of the power management software. If not, update the drivers. Follow these steps:

1. Go to "Control Panel" and then click "Device Manager".

2. Double click and open "System Devices".

3. Right-click "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System".

4. Now choose "Update Driver Software".

5. Carefully read all the instructions onscreen.

You may wish to also repeat these instructions, but right-click "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Embedded Controller" in Step 3. (if located on your system)

If this doesn't work, you may need to go to the laptop manufacturer’s website and search their support section and locate any new power management drivers...
Try updating the power management drivers.

First make sure that the laptop is using the most current version of the power management software. If not, update the drivers. Follow these steps:

1. Go to "Control Panel" and then click "Device Manager".

2. Double click and open "System Devices".

3. Right-click "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System".

4. Now choose "Update Driver Software".

5. Carefully read all the instructions onscreen.

You may wish to also repeat these instructions, but right-click "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Embedded Controller" in Step 3. (if located on your system)

If this doesn't work, you may need to go to the laptop manufacturer’s website and search their support section and locate any new power management drivers for your laptop make and model.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Do not remove any ACPI entries. Doing so may disable some of your laptop’s power management features, such as the ability to put it to sleep by pressing the Power button. It is also a tad complicated to reinstall those features, so best to avoid the problem all together.

Solution
You are right. Other buttons will accomplish that. However, with some systems, you actually can use the power button for this. If he had the option before (and that is how he did it) then I can understand wanting that working again. We all have our preferred way of doing things. :)