powerdvd launching with keystrokes

edelkin

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2006
I have an ASUS laptop. They K key seems to be typing extra characters most times. I have tried the numlock and fn+numlock and it fixes it temporarily. The most baffling part of this is inside word when the k key is pushed it will type asf/ carriage return and launch powerdvd 10. This also happens in internet explorer when searching. Any clue as to what would cause powerdvd to launch from keystrokes in a program?

SchizTech

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
First I must ask, was there ever a liquid spill on this keyboard? Are there special function keys on that keyboard - like a media key? If there is it's possible the 'k' is mistakenly activating that keyboard function.

Other troubleshooting steps I might try: safe mode first then a boot disk like Ubuntu. The latter can be downloaded for free and either loaded on a flash drive (4GB+) or burned to a DVD and used to boot from. This gives you the option to "try Ubuntu" without installing, which will load the Ubuntu desktop from the flash drive or DVD. You would then use the included editing program or browser to test the keys to rule out some weird software bug in Windows.

If there was a spill, it may be necessary to replace the keyboard

edelkin

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2006
No spills. I did some changes in autorun and language settings in the control panel and it seems to have gone away at least for now. It is a problem that has creeped up on my wife several times now. Hopefully, it is gone now. Thank you for the input.