PR Experts Say iPhone 4 Recall is 'Inevitable'

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eeide

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]madhatter4[/nom]hahahahahaha my Iphone 3G is better than the new 4G piece of shit[/citation]

If only you knew how wrong you were...

eeide

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation]Why anyone would buy an iPhone 4 instead of an HTC Evo is beyond me. It is technically superior in every single way.And also, you can hold it however you want![/citation]

Actually EVO is not technically superior in any way! EVO uses the Snapdragon Package. This uses a custom Qualcomm chip (Scorpion) . Apple has a custom A4 package, ARM Cortax A8 as the processor and in fact is pretty much the same thing as the Samsung Hummingbird platform. The Hummingbird platform has special extensions to the ARM A8 processor added and also uses a PowerVR chip for graphics which is more powerful then the AMD GPU in the EVO. Same amount of RAM. iPhone has a higher internal storage at 32GB for the high end one. iPhone 4 also has a much better screen. Even though the EVO is physically bigger at 4.3 compared to 3.5 on the iPhone the resolution is higher and the screen is just amazing when side by side to the EVO. The 8 megapixel camera on the EVO is decent, but the iPhone takes much better still pictures and video even though it is rated at 5megapixel. So from a purely technical standpoint iPhone 4 is slightly ahead and at the least on even ground with the EVO. Apple really should address the antenna issue though, but for me I haven't been experiencing any troubles with it unless I try to make the signal cut out.

eeide

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
Even if Apple recalls the iPhone 4 because of the antenna issue. I wouldn't send mine back! I have yet to experience any issues. The time and hassle of sending it in, getting the new one, setting all back up just isn't worth it to me unless I start having problems. I actually intentionally cover up the bottom left corner all the time because I'm still in my 30 days and can take it back if it starts acting up. I personally don't like cases on my phones, so I wouldn't even consider a bumper if I have issues.

decrypted

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
Knowing Apple they'll just speed up the release of their next phone. For those that have the problem will just quietly receive a free bumper, like when Nintendo had to send out those free wrist straps for the Wii when it first came out.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]eeide[/nom]Even if Apple recalls the iPhone 4 because of the antenna issue. I wouldn't send mine back! I have yet to experience any issues. The time and hassle of sending it in, getting the new one, setting all back up just isn't worth it to me unless I start having problems. I actually intentionally cover up the bottom left corner all the time because I'm still in my 30 days and can take it back if it starts acting up. I personally don't like cases on my phones, so I wouldn't even consider a bumper if I have issues.[/citation]

A "recall" doesn't necessarily mean you have to send it back for a new one. It might just mean you bring it into any Apple store or authorized vendor and have your free bumper put on it. If you don't want a bumper, they may have another option such as a laminate coating or something.

Just like if a car company does a recall on a certain model of car, you don't bring the car back and get a new one, you bring it in to the dealer at your convenience and they fix the problem or replace the part at no cost even if your particular model didn't have said problem.

If, however you refuse the options they give during the recall, they are not obligated to give you a refund or a new iPhone 4GS replacement (when it's out). If you did get such a thing, it's because you're exceptionally good at bitching.

Since there is no iPhone 4GS out at the moment or that will be out any time soon, and the problem doesn't completely break the phone, you're unlikely to get any kind of replacement during a recall.

eeide

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]beayn[/nom]A "recall" doesn't necessarily mean you have to send it back for a new one. It might just mean you bring it into any Apple store or authorized vendor and have your free bumper put on it. If you don't want a bumper, they may have another option such as a laminate coating or something. Just like if a car company does a recall on a certain model of car, you don't bring the car back and get a new one, you bring it in to the dealer at your convenience and they fix the problem or replace the part at no cost even if your particular model didn't have said problem.If, however you refuse the options they give during the recall, they are not obligated to give you a refund or a new iPhone 4GS replacement (when it's out). If you did get such a thing, it's because you're exceptionally good at bitching.Since there is no iPhone 4GS out at the moment or that will be out any time soon, and the problem doesn't completely break the phone, you're unlikely to get any kind of replacement during a recall.[/citation]

That's a good point and if it is just a repair then I would let them do it as long as it's less then an hour or so. If it's just a free bumper I think I would take it in case I have issues down the road, but I don't want to add extra bulk to the phone unless necessary. If I have troubles down the road and there was some sort of 4GS model I probably wouldn't upgrade anyways. I skipped the 3GS. However, my primary phone was never the iPhone 3G. I used the Tilt 2 and the 3G was just a dev line. The HTC Aria I have is decent, but this time around I want the iPhone 4 to be my primary so if they end up getting recalled and is a big hassle then my iPhone goes back on my desk and I would end up with the new Samsung Captivate as my primary when it comes out.

andyp363

Distinguished
May 13, 2010
[citation][nom]tramit[/nom]If you can afford the Iphone and the ridiculous prices AT&T charges for iphone services, then you can afford a nice case to fix it. I otterbox most of my phones.[/citation]

Just because your customers can afford to fix it doesn't make it ok to sell things that don't work properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS