Pre-orders for Sprint's EVO 4G Starting This Month

Status
Not open for further replies.

stopthe_bomb

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009
Why does Sprint, one of the smaller cell phone service providers (with AT&T Verizon being bigger) have 4g before the bigger ones..

afciscoguy

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010
[citation][nom]stopthe_bomb[/nom]Why does Sprint, one of the smaller cell phone service providers (with AT&T Verizon being bigger) have 4g before the bigger ones..[/citation]

Because, AT&T has spent 4 years basking in the glow of, and selling the hell out of the iPhone. Verizon (and Sprint) have been upgrading their networks.

This is why IMO, Verizon and Sprint for the most part have crappy phones, but an excellent service and network. Now we see Sprint getting ready to release the Evo which may be an iPhone killer, and hopefully their network will be able to keep up!!

cyprod

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
that, and sprints 4G is wimax, while everybody else is using LTE. wimax isn't really a great mobile telecom solution though (the biggest backers are google and intel). Granted maybe I'm just biased on that point towards LTE.

ac21365

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2009
[citation][nom]cyprod[/nom]that, and sprints 4G is wimax, while everybody else is using LTE. wimax isn't really a great mobile telecom solution though (the biggest backers are google and intel). Granted maybe I'm just biased on that point towards LTE.[/citation]

No, you're correct. Wimax runs at a much higher frequency too...

So, sprint users, how's that 4g signal indoors?

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
How about, 1024x768 S-AMOLED, 1GB RAM, 64GB internal memory, two MicroSD slots, a micro HDMI/DVI/DP/VGA, 12MP back facing camera with 720p video, and 5MP front facing camera with 480p video, and a really fat battery?

Gimme all those, and I'll give you all my money. :)

G

A change in the Clearwire/Intel deal for Wimax has recently been changed for Clearwire to also adopt LTE tech. It also appears the two technologies are compatible together. Who's got the majority holding in Clearwire? Sprint.

unlicensedhitman

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
[citation][nom]afciscoguy[/nom]Because, AT&T has spent 4 years basking in the glow of, and selling the hell out of the iPhone. Verizon (and Sprint) have been upgrading their networks. This is why IMO, Verizon and Sprint for the most part have crappy phones, but an excellent service and network. Now we see Sprint getting ready to release the Evo which may be an iPhone killer, and hopefully their network will be able to keep up!![/citation]

I'll have to agree with you because Sprint does have shitty phones. They don't have a good selection to choose from. Service is okay.

tyko

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
As a Sprint customer, I have to agree with unlicensedhitman and afciscoguy. I've never really had any major problems with service, but whenever I went in there to upgrade my phone after a new contract I've often been disappointed at the poor phone choices.

insider3

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
I'm a sprint customer. Never had any problems with their service. I would have 5 bars in certain areas and my friends on AT&T would 1 or 2. Let's not even mention T-Mobile..Horrible.. Only thing I was disappointed about was the phone selection. I was about to switch to Verizon until a couple of months ago when Sprint announced this first 4G phone. I've been holding back on my upgrade till this phone got released. Did I mention thier monthly bill is way cheaper than verizon? you almost pay half the price of verizon as an individual owner for just as good service. I don't have family here so I can't take advantage of the family plans verizon provides.

slaphappy

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2006
[citation][nom]anamaniac[/nom]How about, 1024x768 S-AMOLED, 1GB RAM, 64GB internal memory, two MicroSD slots, a micro HDMI/DVI/DP/VGA, 12MP back facing camera with 720p video, and 5MP front facing camera with 480p video, and a really fat battery?Gimme all those, and I'll give you all my money.[/citation]
Wouldnt be surprised if it already exists. In Japan/Korea. They always get the cool shit like 3 years ahead of us here in the states.

drksilenc

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
[citation][nom]slaphappy[/nom]Wouldnt be surprised if it already exists. In Japan/Korea. They always get the cool shit like 3 years ahead of us here in the states.[/citation]
not so much ne more slap. samsung just showed off the galaxy s and it isnt anywhere near that and the evo are the phones to beat this year

kiniku

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
Sprint is and has been taking aggressive steps to slow the hemmorage of their customers switching to other providers. Their advertised plans, 4G service etc you see on TV commericals are marketed to stem that tide.

Take a look at natiowide coverage plans with basic phone service and 3G service. Compared to Verizon Sprint's coverage looks like a pay as you go map.

Verizon's LTE coverage, just like their 3G is slow and methodical. But just like their 3G, once it's done no other provider will come close, especially Sprint.

stromm

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2004
I've been a sprint customer since 1998 and I have never thought of changing. Sure, the phone selection isn't as broad, but the interesting thing about that is Sprint carries many of the same phones as V/AT&T, and the usually get them earlier too. Seriously. And why don't most people know this? Because the model #/name used by Sprint isn't usually the same as used by V/ATT. Same phone, different name. I've seen this more than 20 times. Now, every carrier has their "flagship" phone so don't cry "But ATT has the iPhone" or something. Sprint has a few phones not carried by the others too.

My brother has V, my neighbors ATT and T-mobile. I pay much less for more, FASTER, better coverage service. I've never had a billing screw up even with three phones (used to be four) on the same account. Voice, data and text.

Sadly, where I live, 4G is a ways away yet. So I won't be getting an Evo. Not to mention my trusty HTC Touch is working fine for me. Exchange sync and all.

Ransom22

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
Living in the Chicago area I can tell you that the 4G signal is great. Sprint is using Clear's Wimax network for their 4G service and Clear's network is fantastic, and for those skeptics, the signal indoors is fantastic too.

I'd still love to see some pricing on this one, but the fact that it's running Android 2.1, Sense UI, has an 8MP camera, comes with 8GB of storage, and you can tether, it's just an awesome device.

I for one am excited and hopeful that the Evo will push the market that much more. The more competition between HTC and Apple the better for the consumer.

daworstplaya

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
Also Sprint's 4G is not really 4G speeds (or what is expected to be true 4G from AT&T and Verizon), more like 3.5G ... IMHO, it's false advertising.

JohnnyLucky

Distinguished
May 30, 2007
I've had Sprint service for 8 years now. Every time I am eligible for an upgrade I go to the Sprint web site. I'll find a phone that I am interested in. Then I go to a local Sprint store and discover the store doesn't carry the phone. The phone has to be ordered online. There goes checking out a phone before purchasing. :(

danbfree

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2008
Like an Incredible with 3.5G speeds... nice. Sure it isn't true 4G speeds but 8Mbps isn't bad... and the WiMax standard has faster speeds in store for it's next generation too. sure LTE may be better overall but WiMax is here NOW and WILL be updated to faster speeds too. Sprint is a very good value for anyone who wants good data speeds at a good price.

G

I could tell how great you are in your field of interest. You could relate in each detail very well. Thank you for spending a time on sharing such informative writings to us. I will bookmark your page and looking forward to read some more of your writings soon.

irs tax relief | tax lawyer | tax debt relief

G

The blog was absolutely fantastic! Lot of great information which can be helpful in some or the other way. Keep updating the blog,looking forward for more contents...Great job, keep it up..
how to get rid of hiccups
how to get rid of back acne

Status
Not open for further replies.