Solved! Precision Laptop replacement GPU fan not recognized

Nov 7, 2018
About three weeks ago my laptop GPU fan began to shake and become unruly (I assume bad bearing). I researched online and bought a replacement fan. I put it in and the computer booted but informed me that it did not find a GPU fan (f1 to continue,F2 to BIOS and F5 to run diagnostics - can you guess its a Dell). Diagnostics failed on the GPU fan. Not found, 0 RPM speed, etc. I requested a replacement fan. One was sent right away. Same result.

Error Code - 2000-0511
Validation - 128809
Msg: Fan - The (Video Fan) fan failed to respond correctly

I booted the computer with the back cover off to watch its actions on boot. To my surprise the fan spun, but in a slow pulsing fashion - continuously till I enter in my BIOS boot password. Upon farther investigation I found that my replacement fans were 0.26Amps while all other replacements online (photo's all seem to be identical) show replacements are 0.3Amps. Would this be a possible issue to run at lower Amps? I don't have the original as my son tore it apart in a "science experiment" as soon as I told him it was dead.

To answer the common question I find on tons of message boards... yes I can spin the fan with my finger, but I'd rather use the electricity in my laptop :)

System: Dell Precision M4800 (I know, plagued with issues from the start), Nvidia Quadro M2000, 32Gb Ram, SSD HD, 180Watt Power SUpply, WiGIG Adapter, Nice design related stickers on cover to make it my own in a crowd.

Solution

That is the fan controller on the motherboard, not the fan. A fan will run if you plug it into any working plug without a driver.
Nov 7, 2018

Just did the latest BIOS yesterday prior to last round of testing.

Manufacturer:- Dell
Series:- Precision M4800
Model Number:- Kvywha04

Got it from - https://www.power4laptops.com/p/dell/precision+m4800/compatible+laptop+gpu+fan+2087744#.W-Q1T5NKjD4

Does this help? Thank you so much for the rapid response.

Nov 7, 2018
I ordered an official .3Amp version and put that in to no avail. I am sadly calling it a day. It will go into storage till I can possibly find a solution. Time to buy a new system (after 5 years of use).

AroStewart

Estimable
Apr 17, 2015
You may not need to. Like everything hardware, a driver is needed. Go to the manufacturer website and download and install the driver that you need for it. If not, you can install it through Device Manager.

This is for a fan, fans do not need drivers.

Nov 7, 2018

Its an exact replacement FAN for the one that was there. Sadly drivers are not the answer. Thanks for your response.

AroStewart

Estimable
Apr 17, 2015
@hang-the-9. Computer fans do replay on drivers to operate. They normally install by themselves. Go into Device Manager, System Devices and you would see the drivers for Fans to help regulate an accurate speed. Jtlyk.

Nov 7, 2018

To go farther into this the BIOS did not recognize any new fans. I keep getting a bios warning to the fact.

That is the fan controller on the motherboard, not the fan. A fan will run if you plug it into any working plug without a driver.

Solution