Predator helios 300 turbo

Jun 20, 2018
Is the turbo boost safe without a cooling pad, and is it safe wothout one, and should i be worried about frying my cpu.

Solution
Don't worry about frying your CPU. The turbo boost only goes that high if it has the thermals to do it. A cooling pad is usually unnecessary. The Helios 300 has a reasonable cooling system. As long as you aren't trying to run it while it is sitting on a bed or something else that blocks cooling vents you'll be fine. Just keep it on a hard flat surface and you won't have to worry about it overheating.

You can trust that assessment too as I have a Helios 300. As long as you keep it on a hard flat surface and aren't pushing it to its absolute limits with benchmarks or stress testing, you won't be thermal throttling.

justin.m.beauvais

Prominent
Dec 15, 2017
Don't worry about frying your CPU. The turbo boost only goes that high if it has the thermals to do it. A cooling pad is usually unnecessary. The Helios 300 has a reasonable cooling system. As long as you aren't trying to run it while it is sitting on a bed or something else that blocks cooling vents you'll be fine. Just keep it on a hard flat surface and you won't have to worry about it overheating.

You can trust that assessment too as I have a Helios 300. As long as you keep it on a hard flat surface and aren't pushing it to its absolute limits with benchmarks or stress testing, you won't be thermal throttling.

Solution

justin.m.beauvais

Prominent
Dec 15, 2017
As I edited above, I have one.

It does run warm as it has a conservative fan curve. At full tilt running everything as hard as it can, it can thermal throttle, but I've done that and measured a very small thermal throttle of 3-5%.

Over all it is a good machine. I love mine.