Prepare for 'Titanfall' with a Review Roundup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 22, 2013
He does lament, however, the game's sparse customization features and the few multiplayer modes it offers.
That's what DLC is for. Yes, I know, people feel like publishers like devs to intentionally leave out parts so they can sell DLC later, but as we've seen with many big-name shooters, sometimes that's okay so long as what you DO include is solid. Do a few good things, do them very well and you'll have a solid classic. Adding on to that is just icing on the cake.Regarding customization, I think we'll see that develop a bit down the road, but really the appeal of this game isn't nearly as tactical as say, BF4 (though I LOVE that about BF4) - it's really the insanely fast-paced and unpredictable interactions with other players and AI.I don't think we should be too critical of a game's campaign when it does such a damn good job at multiplayer. The best thing about this game is that it's fun. Pure fun. Sure, there's a competitive side, but I don't lament about getting blown to bits or getting my Titan destroyed. Everything that happens is simply thrilling, and that's a lot more than I can say for a lot of games. I love BF4 for competitive gaming, and I now love Titanfall for stupid-fast fun, a la Quake Arena and Tribes 2.

maxiim

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
CoD with mech suits and wall running...while the game is fun I dont think it remotely reaches the hype around it...plus we know majority of these sites like ign/gamespot are easily bought for reviews so they mean absolutely nothing

Zeh

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
It's really weird that the first games to be launched on this new generation of consoles are already struggling with FPS. Hopefully it is because devs haven't learned how to optimize yet.

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
I personally hated the demo.... Just too much, dizzy, chaotic, bored after 15 minutes of getting blasted in the back every 5 minutes. I find it boring (and other games like that). Each to his own, but it's not something I would buy (I liked Tomb Raider and DR3 was good).

Phillip Wager

Honorable
May 30, 2013
just seems odd that all of the critics are so positive on release day seems so fishy. i can't really comment because after my expereience i decided the game is just not for me. if everyone who purchased the game is having a blast playing it good for them

nbraybrook

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
Titanfall most over hyped game of 2014, what do you expect from the makers of COD? its OK at best... Get ready for a new Titanfall every 12 months...

Sam Bittermann

Honorable
Aug 15, 2013
Don't care what the paid critics say so I didn't read the article synopsis. I'd rather get the official word from actual game players (paying customers), forums, etc...

Ramshot

Estimable
Feb 25, 2014
It's really weird that the first games to be launched on this new generation of consoles are already struggling with FPS. Hopefully it is because devs haven't learned how to optimize yet.
Yup PS4 to me is dated, not like PS3 it was ahead of its time. I would expect to see ps5 in a couple more years instead of like 8 years.

Ramshot

Estimable
Feb 25, 2014
Yup PS4 to me is dated, not like PS3 it was ahead of its time. I would expect to see ps5 in a couple more years instead of like 8 years.

The Indomitable

Honorable
Jan 2, 2013
He does lament, however, the game's sparse customization features and the few multiplayer modes it offers.
That's what DLC is for. Yes, I know, people feel like publishers like devs to intentionally leave out parts so they can sell DLC later, but as we've seen with many big-name shooters, sometimes that's okay so long as what you DO include is solid. Do a few good things, do them very well and you'll have a solid classic. Adding on to that is just icing on the cake.Regarding customization, I think we'll see that develop a bit down the road, but really the appeal of this game isn't nearly as tactical as say, BF4 (though I LOVE that about BF4) - it's really the insanely fast-paced and unpredictable interactions with other players and AI.I don't think we should be too critical of a game's campaign when it does such a damn good job at multiplayer. The best thing about this game is that it's fun. Pure fun. Sure, there's a competitive side, but I don't lament about getting blown to bits or getting my Titan destroyed. Everything that happens is simply thrilling, and that's a lot more than I can say for a lot of games. I love BF4 for competitive gaming, and I now love Titanfall for stupid-fast fun, a la Quake Arena and Tribes 2.
Sorry bro you had me until "BF4 for competitive gaming"

weavermsi

Estimable
Feb 16, 2014
Started playing last night, and boy oh boy is it disappointing - and that's with my anti-expectation shields set at 100%. I could almost ignore the fact that the game is tiny, boring, repetitive and wafer-shallow if the visuals were great, but they're not. They're unconvincing, flat and almost cartoon-like, and 720p doesn't help either; it's simply not immersive. I don't feel the need to play it again.

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
Lost Connection To ServerDisconnect: ORIGIN error retrieving player datafrom storage - code 503.Not even the ability to play single player while servers are down. No offline mode whatsoever.

wtfxxxgp

Honorable
Nov 14, 2012
Started playing last night, and boy oh boy is it disappointing - and that's with my anti-expectation shields set at 100%. I could almost ignore the fact that the game is tiny, boring, repetitive and wafer-shallow if the visuals were great, but they're not. They're unconvincing, flat and almost cartoon-like, and 720p doesn't help either; it's simply not immersive. I don't feel the need to play it again.
This is why it will almost certainly be better on PC with everything cranked up to 11 :p

Sep 22, 2013
And why, exactly, is BF4 *not* competitive gaming?So, it's not EVE or WoW so it doesn't qualify? Sure, EVE is far more statistical and involved, and I'd never argue to compare the two, but that doesn't mean people aren't seriously competing and waging clan wars on BF4.Considering it's a stats-driven, rank-driven game I'd say there's a pretty serious level of competition.I didn't say "pro gaming" or "competition level" I just said competitive. And I meant specifically, competitive shooter. I suppose COD is competitive, then? That's a joke.It was more of a general description, not to be taken literally. Titanfall is more about short-term arcade-style gaming, whereas BF4 is more about tactics and action.Sure, it's not Arma, but it's still competitive, that's all I meant.Also, Titanfall is not COD with mechs. If you think that, I'm pretty sure you haven't played it. If you think that, you're probably also a person who dismisses Battlefield as COD with tanks.

cobra5000

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2008
It's good but it does NOT deserve the fanfare. The game is paper thin, nothing to do but play round after round with noobs that stink. Don't get me wrong, it is a fun game and the graphics look great (pc) but there is almost ZERO substance to this game. Wait for a price drop, because I sure feel stupid for paying $60 for a $30 game! That and it hogs up 50 gb of your hard drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.