Prepare for 'Titanfall' with a Review Roundup

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nutmanmatt

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
This game is alright but certainly not worth the hype. Its worth a try but certainly not at $60 if you must have it wait till its more around $30. Being in a titan is fun but on the ground I'm being shot in the back, shotgunned and getting killed by roof campers all the time. Also there is allot of server lag right now.

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007

Said the guy in the era of easily affordable 4TB HDDs. I have 4TB total in my RAID0 so 45GB is not much.

It will keep getting larger as time goes with large textures becoming available with GPUs that have larger VRAM sizes.

ntgam1ng

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
And why, exactly, is BF4 *not* competitive gaming?So, it's not EVE or WoW so it doesn't qualify? Sure, EVE is far more statistical and involved, and I'd never argue to compare the two, but that doesn't mean people aren't seriously competing and waging clan wars on BF4.Considering it's a stats-driven, rank-driven game I'd say there's a pretty serious level of competition.I didn't say "pro gaming" or "competition level" I just said competitive. And I meant specifically, competitive shooter. I suppose COD is competitive, then? That's a joke.It was more of a general description, not to be taken literally. Titanfall is more about short-term arcade-style gaming, whereas BF4 is more about tactics and action.Sure, it's not Arma, but it's still competitive, that's all I meant.Also, Titanfall is not COD with mechs. If you think that, I'm pretty sure you haven't played it. If you think that, you're probably also a person who dismisses Battlefield as COD with tanks.
Because bf4 isn't stable enough for it to be considered for real competitive gaming, as in play competitions for money gaming, the net code is far too buggy and un reliable the game is more cod like than previous battlefields as well

jasonpwns

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2010
CoD with mech suits and wall running...while the game is fun I dont think it remotely reaches the hype around it...plus we know majority of these sites like ign/gamespot are easily bought for reviews so they mean absolutely nothing
"COD" You've never played it have you? Your comment hopefully doesn't get taken seriously. It play nothing like COD.

bucknutty

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010
It's a fun game but not great. I personally don't like the npcs. They don't do any thing but add confusion. The added confusion does not really make the game more fun, after a few hours I have trained my self to ignore them, they might as well not be there. Over all the matches are fast but low on player vs player action. The average player finishes at like 6 and 4 or something low like that. I would like to see a mode with 8 or 10 players per team and no npc bots. If that makes it to hectic maybe a limit of 5 or 6 titans on the board per team.

whalio

Honorable
Nov 17, 2013
Said the guy in the era of easily affordable 4TB HDDs. I have 4TB total in my RAID0 so 45GB is not much.It will keep getting larger as time goes with large textures becoming available with GPUs that have larger VRAM sizes.
Said the guy that missed the article stating that 35 GB of it were uncompressed audio files. Nice try though, sport.

DrBackwater

Honorable
Jun 10, 2013
I remember years ago, people knew very little to whats happening inside anything computer related and just thought it's really those who' were technologically savvy, now people know almost every aspect that impacts their game and i wonder if it frustrates developers.Like elder scrolls arena that had it all, with what people call today as horrible. i think duke nukem on pc todays more shit then elder scrolls arena back in the day.But thats me.

vidfreek

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2011
Yeah gotta say, this is the best online FPS I've played in years, probably since I put a whole year of multiplayer with my buds in on the original Halo. I havent had this much fun playing a game like this. For those saying its mediocre at best, its obvious you havent played enough of the game, I find that people who think its repetitive and bland have no idea how to truly play the game. Every match I've been in has been unique, the action ramped up and it just gets more and more fun. Strategy takes a front seat to this one, it really comes down to knowing how to control yourself, taking advantage of height, taking advantage of flanking maneuvers and really working with your teammates. Knowing when to drop in your titan makes all the difference. Playing a whole match and only dying twice makes for exhilarating gameplay, leaping off buildings, on the backs of titans, taking them down by yourself or with a couple other players, team work is king.And to the guy that thinks the AI is simply confusing and you've decided to just ignore them because "they might as well not be there" obviously has no idea how much they can help you out in the game, the spectres can be hacked, the grunts can be controlled with burn cards and each one you kill helps your XP for leveling up and of course reduces your time for earning your titan. People going on about how boring and unhyped it is obviously havent put any time into the game and most likely are getting killed, like the guy who said he was getting shot in the back every 5 minutes. Well it doesnt play like COD, you cant sit around and wait for things to happen, you gotta use your skill and the environment and make it happen!

AcoustiK

Estimable
Mar 17, 2014
Stuck on the spaceship loading screen 18/20 times. Servers are garbage (particularly the Australian one) even when in the game the connection drop for a few seconds only to be killed when it reconnects itself.This game reminds me of Brink, just a blast fest with little tactic involvement.

AcoustiK

Estimable
Mar 17, 2014
Stuck on the spaceship loading screen 18/20 times. Servers are garbage (particularly the Australian one) even when in the game the connection drop for a few seconds only to be killed when it reconnects itself.This game reminds me of Brink, just a blast fest with little tactic involvement.

Status
Not open for further replies.