President Obama Announces Video Game Contest

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Prince_Porter

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
If anyone thinks this isn't promoting education, you need to pull your head out of your ass and realize what it takes to make them.

I'm a game designer myself, and it's no easy task. Programming, art, design, adaptation for the target market/platform, the list goes on.

jaysbob

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010
educational games were some of the first gaming experiences I had (AND they happened in school). Mathblasters and Treasure Mountain were great entertaining games that did actually manage, to use the old cliche, make learning fun.

Maybe it's just because I'm not that age anymore but it doesn't seem like there's the same number of interesting educational titles out there. I'm sure they could do amazing things with current generation technology. I'd love to see what, if anything, comes out of this.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
[citation][nom]aquila[/nom]Didn't Obama say some time ago he considered games, like many other things, were just another type of distraction from important things in life?[/citation]
if u can't beat em... join em?

wild9

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]I like this idea, HOWEVER, it's not going to help solve really anything. It'll help the kids that come from educated families (typically White, Asian, Middle-Eastern) and have no effect on the poor families (typically Black and Mexican). This isn't always the case in any culture but it is fairly typical (hence the italics). [/citation]

So if I'm white it's OK to stereotype me? How about the poor white people who's homes are on the line..the people who are even abandoning their pets because they can't afford to keep them? How about the people who's jobs have been outsourced overseas, including to places like Mexico and Asia?

Are you views typical..or stereotypical? What if I said certain criminal demographics coming across the border were typically Mexican? How would that go down? Certain other criminal demographics typically black?!

Aintry

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
Maybe they'll develop a video game that'll teach people how to be President!

A couple more ideas:

Michelle's Free Ride: Try guiding Michelle Obama on a tour of Europe without alerting the American press. Start with 3 "blackout points."

Suspect: Try to have a rational discussion a with a presidential spokesman without being called a racist. Earn "street creds" with the use of approved "PC" terminology.

G

I became a Computer and Electrical Engineer because of video games. I wanted to be able to develop the next Sony console, or the next Nintendo console. But, after I learned so much more possibility that engineers can do, I pursued higher dreams other than video game hardware development.

Promoting education through video games is an excellent idea. That is why I became an engineer, it was because of video games.

Aintry

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
Imagine what Tesla, Fermi, and Einstein might have become if they'd only had video game technology at their disposal.

dragonfang18

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2009
Why not make an education system that works along with how the brain functions... Stop learning through what you perceive as "fun", but on how the brain processes information, that way we can educate children on a more efficient manor...

gladiator_mohaa

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
[citation][nom]mRThix[/nom]How about investing money into the public school systems for better teachers and overall quality of education?[/citation]

The problem is not enough money in our education system....it is to much bureaucracy. In fact there are many places in the world that educate there children better with far less money. Money is not the answer to a fixing education and neither is Oboma's game plan to further indoctrinate our kids.

nforce4max

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
The goal of schooling in the US for the past decade has not been education like many have been raised with such as reading, math, and science but indoctrination such as political correctness then at home parents have failed in their role in educating their children so the blame goes all around. The first step than will better the quality of education is the removal of under performing teachers and staff that have reached level of incompetence as well the removal of all forms of Marxism and Fascism that remains in the system. Marxism over the past decade as really flourished and is dragging down the system. Providing optional but separate facilities for non English speaking students allows for less resources being spent on accommodating both in the same place. Over all there is no quick solution to fixing the problems in American education as they for a long time have been terminal and will not go away any time soon with out replacing the system as a whole.

Aintry

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
Only a tiny percentage of the kids who play video games have the intelligence or inclination to actually design a video game. They'll write code for fun; nobody will have to offer them a prize to motivate them.

On the other hand, average video game players, no matter how "passionate" they may be about playing games, will never design a video game because they don't have the talent or the inclination to design them.

Money isn't as much of a motivator as "educators" would like to think. But maybe that isn't the point, eh?

G

Fat Americans will be fat. Glad I'm not one if the fat ones (yet.)

G

Seriously? This man is dragging us into hell and THIS is his best attempt to distract us? Hey, morons who elected this illegitimate lawyer into office! You happy now? How's that "Hope and change" working for you? Too much hope? Or maybe he kept the change? Fools.

Status
Not open for further replies.