Solved! Prevent HDD from being used on another computer

Nov 16, 2020
I have two PCs, 1 Lenovo Yoga Laptop and 1 Custom Desktop.
I want to know how to lock or make my HDD of laptop not usable in another computer.
Laptop has Win 10 Home and Desktop has Win 10 Pro.
I want to make it so, that the data in my HDD is not read or detected by any other computers.

I am a new here by the way.
Thanks.

Nov 16, 2020
Encrypt the drive. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...cryption-0c453637-bc88-5f74-5105-741561aae838

Keep in mind if you have a disk issue or you forget the password and don't have the recovery key saved you will not be able to get to the drive without wiping it and installing Windows clean on it again. Make sure you have backups done of all your files.
Thank you for replying but.., you see none of those options are present in my Windows 10-Home Laptop, thats why I asked.

Raul_McCai

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2014
I have two PCs, 1 Lenovo Yoga Laptop and 1 Custom Desktop.
I want to know how to lock or make my HDD of laptop not usable in another computer.
Laptop has Win 10 Home and Desktop has Win 10 Pro.
I want to make it so, that the data in my HDD is not read or detected by any other computers.

I am a new here by the way.
Thanks.
You can get encryption software that is really quite good. There is ( to my knowledge) absolutely no way to encrypt a HD while running windows. You can encrypt folders. and files. If security is important to you then lose Windows altogether and go with Linux.
In Linux Ubuntu you can encrypt the whole disk on installation of the software and once done it'd take the CIA and the FSB 100 years or more to crack it if they ever did.
The up sides to Ubuntu include (a) the massive volume of free software everything from games to office suite to photo and video editors pretty much anything you can do in wiondows or MAC you can do in ubuntu. ALso (b) it is absolutely malware and virus proof. I can surf the Ransomware sites and they can't touch me. I do not have any antivirus. No need. The down side to Linux is that there is no really good accounting or engineering software for it. There are accounting and engineering packages but they are so amateurish that they are not worth using.

Reactions: Siolu
Nov 16, 2020
You can get encryption software that is really quite good. There is ( to my knowledge) absolutely no way to encrypt a HD while running windows. You can encrypt folders. and files. If security is important to you then lose Windows altogether and go with Linux.
In Linux Ubuntu you can encrypt the whole disk on installation of the software and once done it'd take the CIA and the FSB 100 years or more to crack it if they ever did.
The up sides to Ubuntu include (a) the massive volume of free software everything from games to office suite to photo and video editors pretty much anything you can do in wiondows or MAC you can do in ubuntu. ALso (b) it is absolutely malware and virus proof. I can surf the Ransomware sites and they can't touch me. I do not have any antivirus. No need. The down side to Linux is that there is no really good accounting or engineering software for it. There are accounting and engineering packages but they are so amateurish that they are not worth using.
Then, if I multiboot using Ubuntu with win10 home on my laptop, can I still achieve it?
or do I have to single boot using Ubuntu only and discard WIn10?
Also I installed Win10Pro yesterday so, if I use Bitlocker on a single volume in my HDD named A drive, can anyone access it, if I put my HDD as removable media in any other Windows PC ? Can anyone see the contents or copy it ?