Preventing mouth sounds while recording vocal track?

Grunberg

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006
I would like to create vocal recordings to my PC using a high-quality microphone. However, past attempts have yielded very prominent mouth sounds in the resulting recording (the typical breathing and popping/smacking of the tongue and lips due to moisture and saliva.)

How does one minimize these hindrances during a vocal recording? Or am I plagued with manually editing those nuances out afterward? What is the trick?

Any information is appreciated. Thanks!

ssddx

Glorious
good placement of slightly off to the one side and a proper distance away but still fairly close to center as well as use of a pop filter. in some cases i've seen users use both a pop filter and foam windscreen.

ssddx

Glorious
good placement of slightly off to the one side and a proper distance away but still fairly close to center as well as use of a pop filter. in some cases i've seen users use both a pop filter and foam windscreen.

Geekwad

Estimable
Sep 25, 2015
Pop screen will help a lot, as mentioned, but can also use a noise gate/compressor or post-processing to to help remove some of those artifacts.

Grunberg

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006
Thanks for your information! Okay, stupid follow-up question:
Would it be necessary to use a microphone windscreen and pop filter at the same time? Or would that be overkill?

mjslakeridge

Honorable
Mar 6, 2013
With some condenser mics, there is going to be some level of popping, breaths, etc. regardless of whether you use a foam windscreen and a pop filter. In our studio, we use an Audio Technica 4033a, and if the vocalist moves his feet on the carpet, the mic picks it up. I just edit out all of the breaths ahead of the phrase, and use fades on the end of the phrase. I also compress the vocals going to the mixer, and insert a de-esser plugin on the track when mixing.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Audio 0
B Audio 1
G Audio 1
G Audio 3
D Audio 1
A Audio 2
B Audio 1
S Audio 1
Richoe Downs Audio 1
G Audio 0
A Audio 2