Price Cut Helps PS3 Sales Jump in August

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CChick

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
The question should be ---- why would anybody still stupid enough to buy that garbage Wii ? Under powered. overrated sensor. pathetic games. what a fuxking joke.

I hope Wii dies in a horrible way.

vorless

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
I hate when people cry about how PS3 fails because of no backwards compatibility, when infact the Xbox 360 still has a ton of games from the first Xbox that do not work on the new console. Oh Please.

lancelot123

Distinguished
May 12, 2008
[citation][nom]Belardo[/nom]The PS2 is still a pretty good console, especially at $100 or less.For many kids, its still more than enough in terms of horse power (still more powerful than a Wii).[/citation]
Considering that the Gamecube and PS2 were about the same in power and that the Wii is about twice as powerful as the GC, I think it is safe to say that the Wii is about twice as powerful as the PS2.

SpadeM

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
[citation][nom]pito[/nom]I agree with you, Why people buy something so outdated, let see because they still have PS2 games and PS3 is not BC?... so does that mean that i shouldn't buy a DVD or a Blu-ray player because i still have my VHS movies and I won't be able to watch them? NOOOO. People as technology move forward you should move to. ditch that old thing and move on. Can anybody back me up here!!!![/citation]

It's simple. It's not about the technology behind the PS2 that keeps it going. It's about .. feelings. Yeah i know it sounds retarded but it's true, I mean take me for example. I still have my NES and Atari 2600 and still use them to play old school video games. I know i can do that with an emulator in a PC or whatever, but it wouldn't be the same. And so for the excitement and the memories that it holds, the ps2 is a good buy for ppl that game for fun.

johnny_5

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
"Of course, like every other month, the Nintendo DS and Wii reign supreme without any moves in price."
I must say that's a bit depressing...

However when September NPD comes out we'll see the full effects of the price cuts.

r0x0r

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
[citation][nom]pito[/nom]...I need a count of how many people still play the 1st Halo from the original Xbox? when they can play Halo 3...[/citation]

I'd rather replay Halo than Halo 3.

Manos

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
[citation][nom]raceway99[/nom]if the ps3 slim keeps going strong this month would it be able to overtake the wii? that would be amazing[/citation]

Im sorry but if you ask me, the fact that rereleasing the PS3 through Slim ( not my words.. Thats how it is for Sony and hows the word keeps going around about it ) and in such cheaper price and not managing to even sell more than the 360 is whats amazing. Let alone the Wii. Even if they DO manage that next month you can only imagine how fast the sales will drop after the "slim" steam goes down... So the fact they didnt do that great as Id expect is whats amazing.

pito

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
[citation][nom]Rab1d-BDGR[/nom]Someone who cares about presentation over substance. If computer games are ever going to gain acceptance as an artofrm then there will be classics.Screw shakespear, Twain, Austen and Johnson! Move on already! OMFG dAVINCI CODE AND Harry Potter rulez!!!!!11111!!1!1 {/sarcasm}[/citation]

It's OK when you appreciate art like daVinci, Shakespeare, or classic stuff, but imagine that I watch a good movie and I come back to you and say I'm never going to movies again they overcharge and the movies aren't good anymore. I rather watch Casablanca, Gone with the wind, Jaws, The Godfather, yes they all are great movies, but if you keep looking back you will miss what is in front of you, and that is a great system and good games. If you want to play classics, good! keep your PS2 but don't talk down the PS3 because it wont play PS2 games. That's what bugs me out.

G

If the PS3 Slim keeps selling like this then It will have been a great year for Sony!

PS3 Slim
http://www.ps3slimconsole.net/

Burodsx

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
[citation][nom]pito[/nom]I agree with you, Why people buy something so outdated, let see because they still have PS2 games and PS3 is not BC?... so does that mean that i shouldn't buy a DVD or a Blu-ray player because i still have my VHS movies and I won't be able to watch them? NOOOO. People as technology move forward you should move to. ditch that old thing and move on. Can anybody back me up here!!!![/citation]

If we were talking about pc parts I would agree 100%. Technology does change aspects of gaming, however that does not mean the PS2 games are any less great than what they are now. I still play SNES games every now and then. The graphics may be outdated, but the gameplay and storylines are amazing.

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
[citation][nom]redgarl[/nom]WTH? The DS and the Wii are still in the top 2?[/citation]

I doubt anything will overtake the DS, until the next gen Nintendo handheld comes out.

G

who are these people to determine the thumbs-up or thumps-down? when one's against a product, a thumps down is given; if one praises a product, a thumbs up. democratic? bullxxxx!

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
[citation][nom]onesided[/nom]who are these people to determine the thumbs-up or thumps-down? when one's against a product, a thumps down is given; if one praises a product, a thumbs up. democratic? bullxxxx![/citation]

Insider secret: The thumbs dont matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.