Primary internal battery

Robert36

Commendable
Dec 9, 2016
I keep getting 'primary internal battery' is running low error 601, every time i log in. I thought this was the coin sized silver battery you find when you take panel from bottom off. I replaced it with new battery, still happening. Also laptop is running slow and freezing, videos unwatchable due to buffering and sticking. Is it maybe the big remote control sized battery that needs replaced?

Solution

Hmm, something could still be wrong with the laptops actual battery then. Unless maybe the coin battery isn't "in all the way"

Can you run the laptop without it's main battery attached to see if the error still comes up?

James Mason

Honorable
Jan 2, 2014
That's what the primary internal battery likely is. They can go bad.
The silver coin sized battery wouldn't generate errors, but the signs it goes bad are more obvious/crippling. If your clock is always wrong, that battery is dead/dying for example.

Robert36

Commendable
Dec 9, 2016

James Mason

Honorable
Jan 2, 2014

It should. You may have to set the time again, but if you set the time correctly, restart/unplug the computer, and check the time and it's wrong, the battery is still a problem.

Robert36

Commendable
Dec 9, 2016
Yes. The time has gone wrong again. This is a brand new silver battery, but still the primary internal battery message 601, telling me battery is low, appears, time still goes wrong, and its slow, freezing, switching itself off.

James Mason

Honorable
Jan 2, 2014

Hmm, something could still be wrong with the laptops actual battery then. Unless maybe the coin battery isn't "in all the way"

Can you run the laptop without it's main battery attached to see if the error still comes up?

Solution

Robert36

Commendable
Dec 9, 2016

Robert36

Commendable
Dec 9, 2016
Hi. it won't start when the big battery is removed. I've replaced the small coin battery twice, even secured it with tape, still getting primary internal battery message, still slow and switching itself off. The problem is, i'm receiving that message, but I've done what I can to prevent it. Thanks for your help.

James Mason

Honorable
Jan 2, 2014

hmm, i'd replace the big battery then.

Robert36

Commendable
Dec 9, 2016

Robert36

Commendable
Dec 9, 2016
I think you're right. Just noticed on the hp site, a comment from someone saying they'r replaced silver battery but still got the 601 error message., to which someone else replied ''This is a slightly misleading error as it does in fact refer to your notebooks main battery, not the cmos cell.'' I'll buy a new main battery, and fingers crossed. Thanks for your help.