Princeton Students Find Kindle "Disappointing"

Status
Not open for further replies.
An e-reader, and a paperless office while we are on the subject, will never replace a good old fashioned piece of paper or textbook. There is something to be said about physically having printed text in front of you to write on, study and ponder over.

I would agree that such readers would be useful if you are traveling light or even when flying on a plane. However, I'd have to say no to using it as a complete replacement.

lightsaber

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
They are trying to make the kindle into the next ipod but instead of holding thousands of songs it will be holding books instead. Problem with the kindle is screen size needs to be more bigger and price needs to be more affordable.

dark ice

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
I agree, this would be a nice addition for when you can't lug around the normally rather large books that are given to you in college (or for any reading for that matter). However; I couldn't see this as being a complete replacement, just an addition to the books I physically own.

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
Tablet PC will be my first choice. I can do bookmark, highlight,take notes, draw figures.... even record the lecture with a tablet PC. However none of these are either easy to handle or possible on Kindles.

The only few good things from Kindles are.... cheaper, lighter, and longer battery life... which are nice.... but... not enough to replace the textbooks.

hannibal

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2004
Hmmm.. bigger screen, a pen for notes, some quick acces system to bookmarketed pages or items on the page. So this little device needs more funtionality and easier user interface... Sounds something that Apple will do first (with a steep price) and get followed later with cheaper copies from other makers.

jhgoodwin

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
I tried out the Kindle DX. Amazon needs to fix the screen flash during page changes, speed up page changes, improve PDF support or at least improve the conversion. One of the features missing for PDF support is font size adjustment. Regarding note takers, to work that idea in, it may be required to have a companion "screen" which you write on. As you change pages in the kindle, it would sync with whatever you wrote on it. If it was a hinged product that would be a sweet design. I also agree that a slightly bigger screen and lower price would be good. I also would like to see a removable memory storage device re-introduced to the Kindle. Due to the design of the design of the device, it may not be out of line to experiment with a few small solar cells around the bezel to extend the battery life. Finally, when the device "shuts off" it should stay on the last page you were looking at rather than go to an "off image".

ssalim

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2007
Kindle is for pleasure reading, not for studying. To study you gotta flip the pages around (not just 1-5 pages but sometimes dozens) -- and to make bookmarks (make, not put) plus notes and etc.

Supertrek32

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
+ The Kindle's a nice alternative to the big, heavy books, especially if you don't take many notes or mainly take notes on a seperate notebook.

- The kindle's feature set just isn't there yet. If they were to add a PDA-style stylus and allow notes anywhere, I could see it becoming amazingly versatile.

? Will virtual copies of expensive textbooks become the newest target for pirates?

veryed

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
Kindle may not quite be ready for such a use, but the concept is awesome. I think this type of testing will help companies like Amazon, Asus, Apple, etc learn more about how their products will be used in such an environment and make adjustments. I'm looking forward to more affordable and useful eReaders and a larger selection of eBooks in the future! Get these massive hunks of paper off my shelves so I can use them to store all my other crap.

G

I've been advocating a larger screen for years!
The kindle is missing that! (The DX might be better though).
at this moment the kindle is nothing more than a fancy book replacement.
It's still far from a newspaper or study guide replacement.
In order to keep up with study (like encyclopedia) material,it needs to works about as fast as a computer.
The display needs to be fast too. And the closest we'll see in the future is a tablet, powered by an Atom Z series CPU, or the newer atom platform, and a PixelQi screen!
Give it 11 to 12", at least 1024x720 resolution, and a battery life of one day (aka 10+ hours), good standby modes inbetween lectures and breaks, and you'll have a good device.

But the kindle is good for most people wanting to read a fiction on a nice holiday at the beach or relaxed evening behind the fireplace on a cold day or so...

In no way does it suffice to replace study material!

G

It kind of reminds me of the first netbooks (Asus EeePc 700 series).
They came with Linux, 2/4 or 8GB of SSD, and 256 or 512MB of RAM.
All people wanted those devices, and even if you tell them that it's not ready yet for mass consumers, they didn't care.
Only later they started complaining about it not being windows, it being slow, the low battery life, yadda yadda ...

Now all want a kindle, and want it to work like a PC..Well guess what, IT IS NO COMPUTER!!! It's an e-ink reading device!

No study needs to be done for even a simple mind to understand this!

smokinu

Distinguished
May 30, 2008
I just completed my degree and my wife finished her MBA all online without any physical text books. Everything was electronic via pdf and if you have acrobat pro then you can add or delete whatever you choose. Searching is allot easier and you can highlight just fine. The only downside to anything electronic whether it is a kindle or some other solution is the ability for on the fly not taking on the material in which you are studying. I would want to be able to draw circles, make highlights, write down side notes, etc, etc... Every device that cannot do the things I listed will be a waste of money if compared to good old physical text book.

tester24

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
I think if they redesigned to be more like the microsoft tablet book that was just announced and put some of the said features like sticky notes and ability to write I think it would be better. Only problem books dont need power, but then again I would be willing to give that up than to lug around 30 lbs of books a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.