Privacy Software Opinion Anyone?

darklense

Great
Feb 8, 2018
When you start going through the online web pages of blogs, news, random websites, seems like everything online deems a caution sign: "Warning do not do this, warning do not click that".
Having consideration to the poor people who have a bare minimum of knowledge of computers let alone complicated software, makes me feel sorry for them. Seems like every word you read announces a end of the world and Internet. Im not saying most of them are not the truth, but there are those who are making extreme havoc and panic. There are multiple ways of protecting online, but none is 100% unless you are a prime computer genius with years of experience. I dont save anything on my computer that is personal, but that invasion of personal space is like your next door neighbor barging in uninvited, and you were just about to have cozy solitary rest with a snack and drink in the living room. Thats not something that can be forgiven. Ignored maybe but just once.
My question is your general opinion, software you use if any and advice you would like to share.

Overall, there is no "privacy software" per se. You can do some protective things via browser settings, AV software, parental controls, and so forth.

However, for the most part I simply do not return to websites that become intrusive, have misleading or misdirecting buttons or links. Or endless video/audio popups. Or no "X's" to close or leave in some manner.

Just watch where you go and exit the website immediately if there is something you do not like.

Websites without visitors do not last long.

darklense

Great
Feb 8, 2018

There is a truth in that a human eye can spot a lot more between the text lines.

Avast-Team

Estimable
Mar 3, 2017
Hi everyone, we actually just released a product that can help do exactly this. It's called Avast AntiTrack Premium. What's cool about it is that it is designed to let you know when an advertiser/website/etc is trying to track you, and then it obfuscates your digital fingerprint to help protect your privacy. Also cool is that since it's not technically an "ad-blocker," it's more of an "ad-fooler," it doesn't break half the sites on the web ;)

It's not an AV solution or a VPN, but it works together with other services to help protect your privacy. Link if you're curious: https://www.avast.com/antitrack

So in answer to the real issue of overall privacy, my recommendation would be a combination of a VPN (to obfuscate your and encrypt your traffic) something to prevent tracking like AntiTrack, security software, and any privacy extensions/etc that may add some additional protection. Also, if you don't use AntiTrack, something to clear your browser caches and cookies as well.

Of course, safe browsing habits go a long way on their own in keeping you safe from threats, but not so much from trackers and targeted ads.

SoggyTissue

Prominent
Jun 27, 2017
i use spybot, superantispyware and avast programs.

firefox with noscript addon.

ill start up ipvanish once or twice a week to give the snoopers something to do.

lets not forget, i use windows 7, because 10 isnt private.

jr9

Prominent
Dec 6, 2017
- VPNs are very easy to use these days and have clients handle all the connections for you. Cost around $10 a month.

- A good anti-malware program with active monitoring protects you from active threats. A good fallback if "user education" isn't there. Can catch web based attacks.

- O&O ShutUp10 to disable telemetry features in Windows 10, if you are concerned about that.

These solutions do not require computing expertise at all and simply sit in the background doing their job after setup.

darklense

Great
Feb 8, 2018
"- A good anti-malware program with active monitoring protects you from active threats. A good fallback if "user education" isn't there. Can catch web based attacks."
I have to agree on that. Personally I have met a lot of people which have no basic education as to why they need antivirus, let alone someone who knows what privacy software or tool does, people are oblivious to what goes on around them.Blaming someone else is always an end result which I dont consider truth.