Problem booting Windows 7 from bootable USB on Asus F551M

woundedkite

Estimable
Oct 24, 2014
Hi, I have the above problem and I'd be grateful if someone could help. My girlfriend has an Asus F551M that originally had Windows 8 installed, but she rashly overwrote it with Ubuntu 13.04 about a year ago instead of installing it as part of a dual system. Now she needs Windows for Trados, a translating program. I've created a FAT-32 Windows 7 bootable USB which works on my Fujitsu but not on hers. It's visible on the bios boot menu, but selecting it does nothing, it just kind of 'refreshes' as if it can't recognise anything as bootable. This is strange as I tried using the same USB to create a Live Ubuntu disk beforehand, and it recognised that (I fully reformatted when making it Windows bootable afterwards, which I'll just remind worked fine on my laptop).

I've read about enabling CSM on Asus machines but, strangely, this one doesn't seem to have that option in BIOS (and I can't even be sure that's the problem in this case).

What would you recommend I do? I'd really appreciate any help you could give and will get back asap with any further technical details you require. Thanks in advance.

edit: Is there a possibility that the version I choose needs to be Windows 8 as that was the version previously installed?

Solution
USB 3 ports are blue.

Try rufus. http://rufus.akeo.ie/ Make sure the flash drive is under drive. Because it'll format it. Select whatever underneath. Add the ISO wait for it to finish. Then boot from the flash drive

woundedkite

Estimable
Oct 24, 2014
I used an .iso from the 'Windows Official' website. I tried compiling it through several different iso to usb programs (on Windows 7 and Ubuntu on my own Fujitsu computer). Most of them were ultimately recognised by my computer (although I had a problem with the infinite Unetbootin loop once) and would allow me to theoretically reinstall Windows 7 on top of my own system, but not on the Asus. It may be a stupid question, but how do I know which ports are USB 2 and 3?

Paul NZ

Admirable
USB 3 ports are blue.

Try rufus. http://rufus.akeo.ie/ Make sure the flash drive is under drive. Because it'll format it. Select whatever underneath. Add the ISO wait for it to finish. Then boot from the flash drive

Solution

woundedkite

Estimable
Oct 24, 2014

Thanks, I will try. Presumably it doesn't matter where I do this - it can be from Windows or Ubuntu, right?