Problem connecting blu-ray player to projector

Jun 25, 2018
I recently bought a used Philips home cinema that I want to connect to my projector. However, for some reason I can't get it to work.

I have the following equipment:
- Philips HTB3260 Blu-Ray 3D player incl. speakers & subwoofer
- Acer PD523 projector
- Lindy HDMI to VGA cable incl. USB external power source for optimal image quality

When I turn on the Blu-Ray player I get audio via the external speakers and subwoofer but no video from the projector. So I'm gathering that it must be the hdmi to vga connection that is the problem. When I turn on the player, I immediately get a glimpse of a "PHILIPS" opening screen for a second or two but the projector then starts searching for a video signal without ever getting back to the initial connection with the blu-ray player.

The projector is already connected to my old macbook pro via Vga, so I'm pretty sure it's not the projector that is the problem. I have tried turning the two devides on in opposite order to no avail.

What am I doing wrong?

Solution
If that's the case, then I would suspect the HDMI to VGA cable as well. Unless it's an active converter cable (digital to analog), it's not likely to work.

-Wolf sends
I will guess that using the HDMI to VGA converter the BD player can't detect that your projector won't accept a 1080p input. The opening screen of the player is probably not the same resolution as the regular output so you can see that.
If you connect the BD player to a TV with HDMI you can set the video resolution to be compatible with the projector.
SInce you are using VGA you may have to set it to 1024x768. Here's the projector manual which might help
http://www.projectorcentral.com/pdf/projector_manual_2791.pdf
Try 720p next.

Jun 25, 2018

Thanks for the suggestion!

I followed your advice and changed the output resolution from the BR player to 720p (according to the manual for the projector it cannot process any higher definition than that). There now seems to be a better connection but the video still doesn't work properly. The most notable difference is that the projector now states that it has established connection to a HD TV but still the screen remains black when the dvd/blu ray/cd disc playback inititates.

Any further suggestions will be much appreciated :)

Jun 25, 2018

Thanks for your comment, Wolfshadw.

So does that mean that I can't use my projector with the Blu-Ray player altogether?

What's strange to me is that the projector shows no video from the Blu-ray player whatsoever, not even of the menu graphics when playing regular CDs (as mentioned previously, the audio comes through perfectly via the speakers connected to the player).

Jun 25, 2018

Thanks, Wolfshadw - the strange thing is that I've so far only tried playing regular DVDs and audio CDs on the BR player and still get no video. I suspect it's the output settings from the player or the hdmi to vga cable that is the problem but I can't really figure out which.