Problem setting SD card to format merge with internal storage

Angelouss

Estimable
May 27, 2015
So I got a galaxy on5 from Walmart about 4 months ago and it comes with supposedly 8 gigs of space and it says in the stats that 4 gigabytes of the quote space is being used up by the memory which is kind of weird but whatever I'm more of a PC guy so I don't know too much about that but. The problem is there's only like two gigabytes free I have like one app installed I've seen tons of threads but no resolutions I've done some research and it seems some people have said Samsung phones are guarded from formatting and merging SD cards with the internal storage is this true I have Samsung Galaxy on5 with marshmallow 6.0 .1 and I need to figure this out is there an app I can use if I can't do this I've already bought two SD cards cuz first I bought a PNY 1 and then I thought it was the SD card I bought so I bought a 32GB SanDisk one anyone please help me don't link me any other forms unless it's the exact answer I'm looking for please help me!! :)

Solution
I can't say on the installing a modified version (not standard) of Android, if that will help or not. Not a fan of rooting, etc., myself. To easy to damage, give access to someone you shouldn't or brick a device. However, there is a forum on here for just that. http://www.tomsguide.com/forum/forum-117.html Couldn't hurt to ask those that answer in there if there is a way around it or not.

If not, the only other option would be to move all other things (non-app) over to the card (photos, videos, music, etc.) That would free up some space, but not tons.
Actually it is totally normal for the space to be partially used by both the OS and any pre-installed apps. The amount listed when you purchase is how much is there with it totally blank (no OS, etc.). Same thing on a computer.

Now, in regard to moving apps to a SD card, which is "External" storage rather than "Internal". Well, first of all I believe it is not possible on that particular device. If memory serves. Some manufactures, for some models, don't allow for the conversion of a card to "Internal" storage. However, can't hurt to try.

First, you need to be using a phone that is running at least Android "Marshmallow" (or newer) or be able to upgrade to it. Second, you will need the instructions I am including below. And third, you need a phone that has not been restricted by the manufacturer from making this change. Which does happen.

NOTE: If any of the steps are missing on your phone, or they don't work for you, then you have a phone that either has an older Android version or has been restricted by the manufacturer.

How to turn the "External" SD card into "Internal" storage on "Marshmallow".

NOTE: Please be sure you start with a blank SD card. It needs to be blank because when the card is converted to "Internal" storage, it will be formatted (wiped) and encoded (making the cards data only readable by that device).

1. Go to device “Settings”, then select “Storage”.
2. Select your "SD Card", then tap the “three-dot menu“ (top-right), now select “Settings” from in there.
3. Now select “Format as internal”, and then “Erase & Format”.
4. Your SD Card will now be formatted as internal storage.
5. Reboot your phone.

NOTE: If you don't reboot the phone, many things may not work correctly, so make sure you do.

How to turn the "External" SD card into "Internal" storage on "Nougat".

IMPORTANT NOTE: Be sure you start with a blank SD card. When the card is converted to "Internal" storage, it will be formatted (wiped) and encoded (making the cards data only readable by that device), so anything on it prior would be gone.

1. Go to "Settings", and then select "Storage & USB".
2. At the bottom of the list you should see the SD card's details, including the option to format it and make it "Internal" storage.
3. Once this is done, reboot the device and you can start running things from the card.

If you don't reboot the phone, some things may not work correctly, so make sure you do the reboot.

Angelouss

Estimable
May 27, 2015

Thx for replying but. it seems my particular samsung device sucks. i got it at Wal mart, its the Samsung Galaxy On5, it came with only 8 Gb of Stoarage, as i believe i said in the original post. it has 4gb taken for memory, and 1.2 for the opperating system and once i put the SD cards in i tried two different brands just to be sure, it doesnt give me the option to QUOTE"

"1. Go to device “Settings”, then select “Storage”.
2. Select your "SD Card", then tap the “three-dot menu“ (top-right), now select “Settings” from in there.

End QUote
sooo, i think its just the device, i cant do shit, some programs allow me to manually change the storage location, like i have DC Legends on my phone it takes like 1.4 gb,it lets me "change" the location storage in the App settings, but it seems to be keeping alot of the larger downloaded and update files in the internal storage not on the external storage card SD, i am stuck. it sucks i paid like 70 bucks for the phone i know its not a lot, but i cant really afford anything else atm, and its too late to take this back, is there any way to totally re work this phone its unlocked, so maybe Totally re installing a different or modified version of android marshmellow will allow me to do what i need and put the phone to good use or is this a lost cause?

Angelouss

Estimable
May 27, 2015
MERGED QUESTION
Question from Angelouss : "Galaxy on 5 storage problem"

Thx for replying but. it seems my particular samsung device sucks. i got it at Wal mart, its the Samsung Galaxy On5, it came with only 8 Gb of Stoarage, as i believe i said in the original post. it has 4gb taken for memory, and 1.2 for the opperating system and once i put the SD cards in i tried two different brands just to be sure, it doesnt give me the option to QUOTE"

"1. Go to device “Settings”, then select “Storage”.

End QUote
sooo, i think its just the device, i cant do shit, some programs allow me to manually change the storage location, like i have DC Legends on my phone it takes like 1.4 gb,it lets me "change" the location storage in the App settings, but it seems to be keeping alot of the larger downloaded and update files in the internal storage not on the external storage card SD, i am stuck. it sucks i paid like 70 bucks for the phone i know its not a lot, but i cant really afford anything else atm, and its too late to take this back, is there any way to totally re work this phone its unlocked, so maybe Totally re installing a different or modified version of android marshmellow will allow me to do what i need and put the phone to good use or is this a lost cause?

I can't say on the installing a modified version (not standard) of Android, if that will help or not. Not a fan of rooting, etc., myself. To easy to damage, give access to someone you shouldn't or brick a device. However, there is a forum on here for just that. http://www.tomsguide.com/forum/forum-117.html Couldn't hurt to ask those that answer in there if there is a way around it or not.

If not, the only other option would be to move all other things (non-app) over to the card (photos, videos, music, etc.) That would free up some space, but not tons.

Solution