Problems after Lenovo G700 motherboard swap

John Fasciano

Estimable
Aug 4, 2015
Got a used Lenovo G700 model 20251. I swapped out the motherboard for the one with the nvidia
discreet graphics, same board except for the gpu, since the swap the bios reports the model and serial numbers as invalid, and the battery will not charge unless the laptop is turned off, the message on the battery icon says "plugged in, not charging". I've tried 2 different boards with the same results. With the old board there were no issues.

What could be causing this? I know Lenovo is picky about parts and whitelists a lot of things, but everything I did should be compatible.

John Fasciano

Estimable
Aug 4, 2015

The processor, ram, and wifi card were all swapped to the new board from the old one, everything else, mouse pad, usb etc, is already built into the case.

captaincharisma

Distinguished
it is likely that more than just the motherboard was different from the version that came with the discrete graphics so the motherboard you replaced will not work right with the rest of the hardware (monitor, power port, etc,etc) you are lucky it booted up at all because usually laptop manufacturers put a blacklist file in the BIOS preventing the PC to boot if any major hardware is changed

as for it not charging it could be the charger is different even if it has the same jack to connect to the laptop

John Fasciano

Estimable
Aug 4, 2015
Except for the gpu the boards are identical, the old board even has the socket on it for the gpu theres just nothing installed there.
I read today that lenovo matches all the serial numbers from the various components in the laptop and stores that info in the bios, a motherboard swap will invalidate the serial number, and the motherboard must be updated with their hardware maintenence software to restore the serial number. If i can do that everything should work as it should