Problems connecting laptop to tv through home theater receiver

juno909

Commendable
Dec 31, 2016
Trying to connect my laptop to my LG tv through my Denon (AVS890) receiver using HDMI, however no picture. I connect HDMI from laptop to one of my HDMI Denon inputs, then my monitor out from Denon goes to the tv. With my old tv this setup worked fine. With new tv doesn't work, however all other devices work fine (bluray, cable, PS4). If I unplug HDMI from ps4 and plug in that same cable to my laptop no picture, plug it back into PS4 it works. If I plug my laptop directly to tv, works fine. Once I connect through Denon, no picture...gets more weird...if I unplug HDMI from new tv and use a different tv, picture appears. Plug back into new tv, lose picture.

First off, make sure your HDMI cable is at least v1.4. Cables purchased the last couple of years should be that.

Then it's known first generation HDMI Receivers had switching issues. How old is this receiver? What I hear with those you have to do things in a certain order, like having the components plugged in and powered up, before switching on the receiver.

juno909

Commendable
Dec 31, 2016

This was it...I had to go into my laptop's graphic properties and change the resolution for my second display 'Denon to LG' to 1920x1080, it was defaulting to 4K resolution. I'm guessing maybe my Denon receiver can't handle 4K. Also, I have to have my laptop set to 'Extend' for a second display, 'Duplicate' and 'Second Screen Only' modes don't work.

Thanks everyone for your help! Much appreciated!