Solved! Problems getting new Blu Ray player to output to receiver

Jun 14, 2019
I just got a new Samsung ubd-m9700 Blu Ray player. I run two hdmis out from it. One direct to my tv for video. The other to my receiver, Onkyo tx-nr809. The video part works perfectly. The audio will only work if I change HDMI cables while it is playing to a separate input on my receiver. From Blu Ray to cable for example. If I shut off the receiver, it stops working until I change cables again.
Has anyone run into this issue? Or have any ideas on how to fix it?

Solution
Seems like the receiver may not happy with the audio only output of the sub HDMI output of the BD player.
Try going into the input set up menu of the AVR and selecting no video or non-HDMI video input and HDMI as your audio source for the input you want to use.
Try a different HDMI cable too.
Seems like the receiver may not happy with the audio only output of the sub HDMI output of the BD player.
Try going into the input set up menu of the AVR and selecting no video or non-HDMI video input and HDMI as your audio source for the input you want to use.
Try a different HDMI cable too.

Solution
Jun 14, 2019
So far I have only been able to confirm that the receiver doesn't like the sub hdmi from the Blu Ray player. When I go to optical, it works just fine. I have tried 4 different HDMI cables and am getting the same results. It could just be an example of new and old tech not playing well together.