Producing an MPEG file in Video wave

G

Hello ,my first time in these forums .

I just need to know if anyone knows how to speed up producing mpeg files in programs like video wave.
When i record a 3000 frame file and the go to produce it
it produces at about a frame a second?????

I'm not impatient but if i was writing for that long i think my hand would fall off ,and i just got a new hard drive ....

thanks
Better late in this life than early in the next ;)

G

this is all new to me
I have my drive at UDMA 5
I also have an audigy EX sound card.

I was thinking the version of video wave Ver 4.0 maybe isn't compatible when it comes to the writing part of things.

I noticed that version 5.0 (retail) has XP on the box :)

Thanks for your reply ;)

G

Sorry my spec is
P4 2GHZ i850 768MB RDRAM
30GB NTFS XP 40GB NTFS MEDIA both UDMA 5

Personal cinema - VCR in ,camcorder in ,PS2 in
Panasonic 100HZ out and VCR out

Audigy EX (with bios update from dell)
Personal cinema in,video in,Ps2 in
Digital coaxal out to yamaha cinema station
Out to Bang & olufsen century
Microsoft sidewinder freestyle

Yamaha CDRW
Samsung DVD
Compaq Ipaq
Xtnda infra red
USB HUB - Canon Powershot,CF Card reader,scanjet 5400c

NurseMSIC

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2001
Well the hardware should most definitely be good enough. When you say 'UDMA 5', i should ask if you have enabled 'DMA' mode on the hard drive controller (in device manager) - remember this is different to the hard drives themselves. That said, you should still render quicker.
Tell me again, what are you making?
Is it MPEG 1 or 2, and what resolution?
Also, what codec (if you know) are you using to render through?

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=18108" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=18108</A>

G

Mpeg 2 ,but codec wise i haven't a fiddlers monkey.
Looks like my biggest problem is me and maybe i need to visit one of those DVD sites etc..
I'll check out the codec stuff thanks ;)

G

Sorry ,I got the UDMA settings done in device manager and I also used dos booting utils from western digital and maxtor to make sure the drives where both set at 100 (7200) and everything was roses.
I only got udma 5 on both drives thought when i took out the original maxtor drive and put it as the secondary drive

before that i was only getting 3 on the maxtor and 1 or 2 on the western digital.

Cheers !

NurseMSIC

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2001
Ok, so your system sounds like its probably up to the job. I have also a very similar system to yours, but dont render good quality MPEG2 all that fast either, in the region of 4 to 5 frames per second for DVD - type quality.
It does depend on lots of settings, and whichever program (and then whichever codec) you use gives you a variety of depth of control over it all. Trust me though, i am no expert in the sense of a professional DVD producer, and creating MPEG2s are VERY complicated, hence lots of programs such as Ulead's and Pinnacles stuff that has buttons that just "create DVD". This takes away your control though and often adds to the time involved, which may be the problem here, so here is my suggestion(s)::
1) If you can, use a different editing program. From memory, the one you're using is fairly basic. If you can afford it (or see one for sale at bargain price) buy Adobe Premiere.
If not, then using your current program just export your finished product in its native codec (Digital Video or DV). I dont know if it will have to render this, either in part or in full. If it has to do it in full then there's no point. The other option, related, is to export your product back to Digital Tape.
Either way, your goal is to have a perfect quality finished product that Video Studio hasnt tried to encode in MPEG2.

2) Use a different encoder. Look on doom9.org for the bbMPEG encoder, always a good one to use for free. Doom9 also has lots of help.

If you need more help, let me know whats happening...

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=18108" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=18108</A>

G

Thanks a lot mate
I went into PC world to buy video wave 5 ,
Easy Cd 5 platinum is $99 dollars and so is VW 5 on roxio.com

So when i priced both in PC world VW5 was 188Euro and easy cd platinum was 80 euro ?????

Something rotten in the state of denmark over here in ireland !!

°Better late in this life than early in the nexT∙