Programming WMP with advanced controls in VBA?

Raycaster

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
I'm an intermediate programmer at best having used most languages but master of none. I usually turn to vba when I want to write something as I its the easiest and basically handles what I need.

I coach a local HS volleyball team and would like to easily edit game video.

There are several high end packages available but the cost is prohibitive for the volunteer hobby.

Most packages handle the game breakdown in 3 steps:

1) Cut game video into game points. End up with 200 small clips.
2) Each clip is analyzed and each clip has a info file containing play facts (lost/won/rotation/error/player touch - 50 details)
3) A final Query screen where the end user filters what they want to see eg, All clips of won points by rotation 3...

I dusted off vba and quickly had WMP and VLC| controlled within VBA. The other features are basic a ton of buttons to set attributes and build text files to query etc. I'm thinking of not creating all the small clips and just using something like a "Play EDL" .

Its all like a simple custom database which doesn't seem to tough.

My question is to the TRUE programmers, will vba be my best choice or should I use another language?

Also, although playing back video was easy enough I started looking into speed control and a possible "scrub" wheel. Is there a "toolkit" for WMP that would make these features easily programmable or do I need to just dig deep into the docs?

Thanks ahead.

Solution
If it works and you are comfortable with it no reason not to use vba.

There are related links out there. Here is one:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/201543

I googled "vba programming for WMP"

There are other links out there but I do not wish to either insult your intelligence or overwhelm you.

Probably lots of sample code out there to look at: e.g, how to use the scroll wheel on the mouse.

You should be able to customize your program to detect and respond to various keyboard key presses.

Sort of sounds like fun.....

If it works and you are comfortable with it no reason not to use vba.

There are related links out there. Here is one:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/201543

I googled "vba programming for WMP"

There are other links out there but I do not wish to either insult your intelligence or overwhelm you.

Probably lots of sample code out there to look at: e.g, how to use the scroll wheel on the mouse.

You should be able to customize your program to detect and respond to various keyboard key presses.

Sort of sounds like fun.....

Solution

Raycaster

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009

Thank you for the reply, yes you are correct there are a lot of tutorials how to embed WMP in VBA.
Was able to duplicate this quick but bringing up frame/time info and controlling speed looks like I may need to do some more searching!
I played with VLC with success and started researching ffmpeg as this may be a direction needed.

Again, thank you for your reply.