Projector Bulb Question

robert600

Distinguished
I have an older projector (Viewsonic Pro8100) and it's displaying the dreaded 'bulb is approaching the end of it's useful life' message. Looking on-line, the prices for suitable bulbs seem to vary from about $45 to over $200. Has anyone had any experience with the cheaper bulbs or is it a case of 'you get what you pay for'?

Solution
It's tricky. From what I've read, you get what you pay for, so I've always opted for buying a lamp from a reliable source and haven't been disappointed. A quick search for your lamp RLC-032 shows the price is often $120-240 at reputable vendors (mostly towards the higher end.) Remember that not only could a cheap lamp die prematurely or have poor color, it could explode in your projector and damage it (make your you don't touch the bulb and transfer your skins' oils onto it when you install it.)

Reliable vendors:
http://www.projectorcentral.com/lamp-suppliers.htm

One online store also points out: "Many online stores sell just the bulb, without the housing, which requires manual installation by removing the old bulb and rewiring the...

USAFRet

Illustrious

I used to have a InFocus DLP TV. Not a projector, but the same basic thing.
Multiple issues.

The aftermarket cheap bulbs were much brighter and hotter.
So, after installing it, it worked great. For about 2 hours.

Some genius/bean counter at RCA/InFocus wanted to save $0.06 on a lens, way down inside the light engine.
A plastic lens instead of glass.

So the hotter bulb proceeded to melt this. A large black spot, that just grew and grew.
I had to do a bit of a Frankenstein fix, and mesh in a small glass magnifying lens of the same size and basic shape.
It worked, mostly.

Dauble

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2010
It's tricky. From what I've read, you get what you pay for, so I've always opted for buying a lamp from a reliable source and haven't been disappointed. A quick search for your lamp RLC-032 shows the price is often $120-240 at reputable vendors (mostly towards the higher end.) Remember that not only could a cheap lamp die prematurely or have poor color, it could explode in your projector and damage it (make your you don't touch the bulb and transfer your skins' oils onto it when you install it.)

Reliable vendors:
http://www.projectorcentral.com/lamp-suppliers.htm

One online store also points out: "Many online stores sell just the bulb, without the housing, which requires manual installation by removing the old bulb and rewiring the new bulb into the existing housing. Projector Lamps America sells the complete lamp with the housing, so installation is quick and easy."

I'm no expert, but if you want a more informed opinion, I would post at avsforum.com in the projectors < $3000 forum. Good luck.

Solution

robert600

Distinguished

thanks, yes, i definitely want one with a housing - I'll try the avsform