Prospects at Uni

Goldengoose

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
Hey,

Sorry if wrong section.

I'm looking to take a programming course at uni next year but i wanted to get a taste for it before i decided on a final course to take. Been to a few open days but they just give information on what the course would entail and no real tasters.

Does anyone know of any good tutorials for various different coding languages?

Thanks.

Solution
You're doing a programming course at uni without having programmed before? :S

I don't know about other countries but certainly in the UK most Universities are module based. There might be potential to do a programming module regardless of what subject you decide to study. You might even be able to do modules from multiple courses that would mean you'd get to choose further down the line which subject you'd want to focus on. This would of course mean that you'd need to do the mandatory modules in both.

As for tutorials you might have some programming books at your local library. Web tutorials are all good and well but they are less formal than books. There are a raft of threads on this site with people asking about what the best...

Rusting In Peace

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
You're doing a programming course at uni without having programmed before? :S

I don't know about other countries but certainly in the UK most Universities are module based. There might be potential to do a programming module regardless of what subject you decide to study. You might even be able to do modules from multiple courses that would mean you'd get to choose further down the line which subject you'd want to focus on. This would of course mean that you'd need to do the mandatory modules in both.

As for tutorials you might have some programming books at your local library. Web tutorials are all good and well but they are less formal than books. There are a raft of threads on this site with people asking about what the best language is to start with. I think Java is pretty straightforward so I'd consider that but ultimately you should use the language that your intended course uses.

Solution