PS Vita Sales Plummet After First Week on Market

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leadpoop

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2010
I am more afraid of sony removing the screen in the future. You know! Main selling features they later remove then they sue you for installing your own screen.

thrasher32

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2007
Just another fail for Sony. Seems to me they haven't had a hot product since the original Playstation. They must be doing great outside the US or they'd be sunk by now.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
they should has psx/psp/ps2 games on the thing for like $2 a pop, it would destroy the tablet market, and porting it over shouldn't take too long at all

kyuuketsuki

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
Really? Those sales figures don't look like a total failure to me. Of course it's not going to sell as much the second week as it did the first.

They just need a better game library (the idea to have a library of PSX/PS2 games is a great idea), and to ditch the overpriced proprietary storage. The "technical issues" have been blown way out of proportion.

aaronb09

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009
Do people keep forgetting smart phones are not the same cost as a 3ds or vita? even if the PHONE is free the expensive data plan per month alone costs more then a 3ds and vita and several games over time that and i dont care what anyone says, apps are fing boring after 10-15 min while 3ds and vita have true console platform games.. I hate how they are compared as the same.

masterasia

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
If their proprietary memory cards didn't cost as much as the device themselves, then it would be better.. If If they used today's standard SDHC cards, then it might clearing blow the NDS out of the scene.

One of the reason why the DS did so well was because of the games of course and the R4.
Even though the PSP has been hacked, the games take up too much space on the memory card and the PSP library kinda sucks.

I think one of the reason the Xbox was more popular than the PS3, even though 50% of them failed, was because the Xbox was easily hacked.

Android Devices > iCrap Devices because they can be easily rooted and customized to install black market apps.

The Wii.......Softmod FTW!

Moral of the story.....make your device hackable and it will reign.
I just like being able to have the ability to use my device to its full potential.

sissysue

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011
Most people on this site could have saved Sony a boatload of cash and told them a year or two ago that their handheld was obsolete with the introduction of the new smart phones.

billybobser

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
I'm guessing portable games need to be simple, not technically requiring, and can be picked up and dropped quite easily.

Which to me is Pokemon. I don't really know any PS games that you can have a blast on for 15 minutes on a bus then back to whatever. Let's face it, when you get home, you're not gonna be suffering a diddly screen when you have a PC + full screen with games with alot more depth.

That's the issue here, and the comparison back to the phones comes around again, you can have a blast on a game such as Angry Birds, then put it down and back to work. Would you fork out 30-40 euros for a game when you want to entertain yourself at lunch or on the bus?

I'm sorry, but how could they not realise this.

I don't see how you can step up mobile gaming, given the constraints on time available for mobile gaming. The only reason the 3ds is not a complete flop is due to a hardcore of support and a gimmick (or hook) that will get you to buy one.

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
Its not just me that thinks the design of the Vita looks like utter shit, much like the PSP did when originally launched.

G

I live here in Japan and I'm not surprised that it doesn't seem to be doing that well. It wasn't promoted anywhere (at least, nowhere near where I live). The big electrical stores, toy stores and games stores seemed to be intent on shifting their stock of old PSPs so much so that I couldn't find anywhere that was even displaying a picture of the PS Vita in store, much less anywhere to preorder it. There was literally nothing, not even TV advertising. If I wasn't actively trying to find a PS Vita, I would never have suspected that a newer model was about to be released. You couldn't even preorder it on Amazon Japan until about a week before launch. Then, around mid December, suddenly there were a few TV adverts and it showed up on Amazon but I was fairly sure that it was too little too late, so I held off buying one because I assumed they would have to do a 3DS style price drop after a few months.

It really felt like Sony wasn't bothered at all about it and was secretly kind of hoping that it would fail. I don't know why they would, but it just felt like nobody was really trying.

snowpeak

Distinguished
May 11, 2011
[citation][nom]snowpeak[/nom]I said this thing would be a major failure. And when I did, I got downvoted....[/citation]

So I was right, and I get -4 down votes? Really? Was it Sony fanboys?

Overpriced and expensive, released way too late, no games, expensive proprietary memory, Sony's place in the handheld console market has always been weak and has no customer loyalty or following in the handheld market and it has to compete with iPhones and Android phones with tons of games.

Its a dead duck, it failed before it launched. People who play handhelds play Gameboys (all the various Nintendo handheld devices, people interested in Sony handhelds is a niche market at best and not big enough to turn a profit for Sony on this device.

The people Sony want to attract to this device have smartphones and those smartphones have enough capabilty to keep them from not buying a Sony handheld game console.

Smartphones makes phone calls, text, email, watch movies+tv on beautiful screens, download those shows wirelessly, Apps and games. And the games are constantly getting better.

Status
Not open for further replies.