PS3-Compatible Phone Coming October

Status
Not open for further replies.

Major7up

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
Is this something that anyone wants? We already have an assortment of other phones and phone services...this seems unecessary.

mactruck

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
"Owners can also take control of the console remotely and surf the Internet using the PlayStation's 3 browser from anywhere around the world"

I'm not sure how this is useful if you are required to use an internet connection to access your PS3 via Remote Play in the first place. I would love a way to bypass the ridiculous charges and caps mobile phone companies place on web access, but if I'm already at a wi-fi hotspot why would I want to add lag by surfing through my PS3's flaky browser?

G

Cool! Now they just need to make it full of unnecessary features and make it overpriced.

thackstonns

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
Sweet now instead of whipping out a netbook, or a laptop, or a smartphone, people will be able to use a phone to hook up to thier ps3 remotely via wifi, to use the ps3 browser to surf the net. What a useless feature!!!!!!!!!

pito

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
People you are not seeing the big picture, ie; I use my PS3 as a media player on the TV, with the PSP via any wifi connection I'm able to access any video, music,and picture that is on the PS3(500 Gb) or in the external HD(1.5Tb) that is connected to my network. I already pay for a internet on the phone. It would be nice to access any of my media files using my phone, thru the PS3, using the remote play. For me it would be like having 2TB HD in my phone. :)

iiraymoii

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
Maybe Microsoft should make a phone that connects to your 360 that fondles your avatar. Everyone would treat it like the second coming lol.

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
[citation][nom]mactruck[/nom]"Owners can also take control of the console remotely and surf the Internet using the PlayStation's 3 browser from anywhere around the world"I'm not sure how this is useful if you are required to use an internet connection to access your PS3 via Remote Play in the first place. I would love a way to bypass the ridiculous charges and caps mobile phone companies place on web access, but if I'm already at a wi-fi hotspot why would I want to add lag by surfing through my PS3's flaky browser?[/citation]
the PS3 web browser is far more capable of opening web pages when compared to any phone web browser. I'll take the lag if it means I don't get little red x's or simply a blank page when browsing.

megamanx00

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
So your using the phone to connect to your PS3 over the internet, so that you can use your PS3s browser to surf the internet, rather than just browsing directly from the phone. Yeah, that makes alot of sense.

G

'Owners can also take control of the console remotely and surf the Internet using the PlayStation's 3 browser' = it is called cloud computing

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]megamanx00[/nom]So your using the phone to connect to your PS3 over the internet, so that you can use your PS3s browser to surf the internet, rather than just browsing directly from the phone. Yeah, that makes alot of sense.[/citation]
Yes, but you could, say, start downloading stuff, that takes long time to download, remotely.

mman74

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
Erm...,
1. The PS3 browser has real flash based video support unlike about the handful of other phones that exist at the moment that claim to support it but don't actually let you look at anything other than You Tube.
2. Streaming video media movies, especially those connected on an external drive - very useful. Like having a free slingbox but without TV functionality.
3. Granted the 2 above will only be of marginal benefit, Remote Play - now that would be useful. Plus it doesn't tell you about the rest of the phone so it's pretty hard to make a decision anyway.

zubai

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2007
[citation][nom]megamanx00[/nom]So your using the phone to connect to your PS3 over the internet, so that you can use your PS3s browser to surf the internet, rather than just browsing directly from the phone. Yeah, that makes alot of sense.[/citation]
Yeah, I tried browsing the web using my cousin's phone, really strain my eye.

b-clg

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
The cool setup would be a +500 GB PS3 with PlayTV combined with e.g. Aino. PlayTV turns PS3 into a PVR, and if Aino can control the EPG and receive stored content, you'll have both time- and place shifting.
Today PlayTV is only DVB-T FTA, but that's today..

rexoverbey

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2009
I can already get all the media I want from ORB on my iPhone. This can also be done on any smartphone as well. Plus there is no lag for web surfing going through an emulated web browser. The phone would be better off getting web surfing and media directly from a PC than through a PS3... which most people stream media content through a PC media center anyway for their PS3s.

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
hmm... can it do VoiceIP through the PS3?
If we can make free internet calls through our PS3 with that device... that can be kind of cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.