PS3-Owners Give 10 Reasons To Stick With or Quit PSN

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

The more and more our society goes digital, the more this type of thing will happen. we can blame this or that but its the hackers who seem to not be getting the real blame here. Sony is being blamed because hackers got in. Hackers can get into NASA, but Sony is the bad guy?

Tomsguiderachel

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
[citation][nom]osxgp[/nom]The more and more our society goes digital, the more this type of thing will happen. we can blame this or that but its the hackers who seem to not be getting the real blame here. Sony is being blamed because hackers got in. Hackers can get into NASA, but Sony is the bad guy?[/citation]
Well, more "consumers" are affected by the Sony breach than a NASA breach--which is why we are writing about it at Tom's--but you're right, we all expect this to happen sometimes (see point #7). That doesn't mean it should happen. Ideas for finding and penalizing hackers?

bak0n

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
Let's see. When was the last time I was impacted in my gaming experience with a friend with a PC. Hm..

Never. I LAN game.

Anomalyx

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
I have had 3 Xboxes over the past 5 years that have all [broken] after their warranty expired
Wow... that takes skill... to have a warranty that got extended to 3 years expire 3 times in 5 years. Maybe time travel does exist.... o_O
I had one 360 that went RROD on me, after the 3 year warranty expired. Am I upset? No. I ran that thing into the ground with how much I played it. I'm surprised it lasted that long at all.

Tomsguiderachel

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
[citation][nom]Anomalyx[/nom]Wow... that takes skill... to have a warranty that got extended to 3 years expire 3 times in 5 years. Maybe time travel does exist.... o_OI had one 360 that went RROD on me, after the 3 year warranty expired. Am I upset? No. I ran that thing into the ground with how much I played it. I'm surprised it lasted that long at all.[/citation]
There are obviously a number of ways the warranty could've expired within the 5 year window (buying multiple boxes around the same time, for instance).

G

Let me say that streaming Netflix SUCKS on the PS3. After the last update, before the data breach, they totally borked it. Couldnt play episodes of TV shows back to back without shutting the program off and restarting it. I got tired of it sucking so much, I went and paid $100 for an AppleTV. So glad I did. Leaps and BOUNDS better than the PS3 experience. If you are using PS3 for Netflix streaming...Go get yourself an AppleTV, you will be glad you did...

kinggremlin

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
[citation][nom]osxgp[/nom]The more and more our society goes digital, the more this type of thing will happen. we can blame this or that but its the hackers who seem to not be getting the real blame here. Sony is being blamed because hackers got in. Hackers can get into NASA, but Sony is the bad guy?[/citation]

NASA is full of rocket scientists and the people who would be affected by such a breach would be smart enough to understand the inevitablity of such an event. Basically it is the exact opposite of the majority of posters affected by the PSN hack who think they are rocket scientists, but in reality are just internet tough guys with no comprehension of the level of complexity involved in trying to secure a network like the PSN. If skilled enough hackers want to get into a publicly accessible network, given enough time, they are going to get in, that's just how it goes.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]kinggremlin[/nom]NASA is full of rocket scientists and the people who would be affected by such a breach would be smart enough to understand the inevitablity of such an event. Basically it is the exact opposite of the majority of posters affected by the PSN hack who think they are rocket scientists, but in reality are just internet tough guys with no comprehension of the level of complexity involved in trying to secure a network like the PSN. If skilled enough hackers want to get into a publicly accessible network, given enough time, they are going to get in, that's just how it goes.[/citation]
You sir deserve a brownie. +1

Exactly what I've been saying during this PSN thing. Networks are designed by humans, and humans are flawed. Thus, the networks are flawed. Given enough time, I'd say it is save to say that a skilled hacker would be able to get into any publicly accessible network. Get a team of hackers with plenty of resources, and networks will get hacked faster.

I work for a University, and we get at least 20 invalid access attempts of people (probably student "hackers" attempting to change their grades) attempting to get in to the servers in any given day. Usually they poke into the wrong places and get their IP banned by our firewall system. But if they poke in the right place and emulate a valid attempt, they could get into our network and change something without us even knowing until much later. It is a daily task trying to patch up holes the hackers manage to find.

With an international public network, like PSN, it is only a matter of time before something like this happens.

TitusFFX

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
ehh, I'll stick with Sony for a little while longer but I would like to see them require less information that could possible fall into the wrong hands though to be on the safe side. Such as the email account password breach wasn't all that great >.> Aol for one was blown apart for that one sending random spam from everyones email address that was affected...

G

Quote: Wow... that takes skill... to have a warranty that got extended to 3 years expire 3 times in 5 years. Maybe time travel does exist.... o_O
I had one 360 that went RROD on me, after the 3 year warranty expired. Am I upset? No. I ran that thing into the ground with how much I played it. I'm surprised it lasted that long at all.

ive had my ps3 since 07 my bro and my cuz had 360's my bro has been through 3 my cuz through 2 and ive still had my one ps3 no problems what so ever. and im the one who runs my systems to death at all times it hardly ever gets turned off ....they never hardly turn theres on .....they just broke ( because there junk and always will be) and i dont like paying to play CoD online when i can play free and ive played on both sytems and ps3 does just as good if not better than 360's

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
I love my PS3, but I rarely play online.
Other than downloading/uploading things for/from my game I don't use online much.

thillntn

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
I have both a 360 and ps3, and leaned toward the ps3 until the whole other os thing. the xbox always seems to add features on a firmware update, unlike the ps3. I like the fact MS lets me copy my games to the hdd for caching, you have to jailbreak a ps3 to do that (and lose online functionality and risk legal woes) "hackers" warned of the PSN not using encryption in February, and was swept under the rug. If you run ANY computer system, home or server, updates and security patches are crucial. Things will happen from time to time, but you can easily avoid a lot of the "known" issues by doing a little research. Then again if you are a multi-billion dollar company with no focus other than greed.....just my two cents :).

G

Screw online console gaming. I'll play offline like in the good old days.

If i want a good online gaming experience I'll do it on a PC.

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
[citation][nom]Anomalyx[/nom]Wow... that takes skill... to have a warranty that got extended to 3 years expire 3 times in 5 years. Maybe time travel does exist.... o_OI had one 360 that went RROD on me, after the 3 year warranty expired. Am I upset? No. I ran that thing into the ground with how much I played it. I'm surprised it lasted that long at all.[/citation]

[citation][nom]Tomsguiderachel[/nom]There are obviously a number of ways the warranty could've expired within the 5 year window (buying multiple boxes around the same time, for instance).[/citation]

Hmmm I bought my xbox in 2006 and it went bad 3 times all the way up to November 2010. Each time it was replaced by Microsoft for free. It ended up being covered more than 3 extra years because the first time I sent it in when they sent me back another they said that the 3 year warranty was starting over with the replaced unit. I think someone who claims they bought 3 xbox's and had none of them replaced under warranty is either lying or stupid and chose not to send them back under warranty and just went to the store and bought another.

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
I just hopw Steam isn't ever going to get hacked. Luckilly, most people like Steam (or better yet for most of the population) or haven't even heard of Steam. Also Valve really hasn't done a whole lot to tick consumers off. Except for the lack of Episode 3 they're probably one of a gamer's best friends.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
Ten reasons to stick with, or quit using the PSN This ended up turning into a horrible list of why people are too stupid to stop using their PS3.

Lets list them in order. and add up how many sensible reasons we have to use the PS3
1. "I can't stop playing call of duty" (this can be done on almost any platform)
2. "I have to login to watch Netflix" (you can watch Netflix on everything, even a lowly Wii)
3. "I can buy a prepaid PSN card" (Or Xbox, or Zynga, or visa prepaid card)
4. "I hope we get something free" (congratulations your getting 12 months of free credit watch because Sony is legally obligated to give it to you) -1
5. "XBOX has problems too!" (so did the Toyota Prius's gas pedal, but its under warranty and fixed for free, just like all of the RROD Xbox's. Your point is?)
6. "its bound to happen eventually" (Check out PCI and SOx compliance, Sony followed neither, and this is where its lead them) -1
7. "They deserve a second chance" (I will give this one to you, they have done a lot for the world of gamers and they deserve a chance to make it right) +1
8. "Watching MLB on my PlayStation" (See Netflix comment)
9. "A new game system costs too much" (if your already in with Sony, why jump ship now) +1

So with the nine reasons to continue using a PS3, two of them I Agree with, and two of them border on mentally challenged, the other five are not something positive for the PlayStation or its network, and I would consider Neutral. Too bad the creator of this article was so obviously biased in his writing, If this were presented without a preconceived opinion it would have been a much better read.

Status
Not open for further replies.