ps3 to projector

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

tomym23

Estimable
Jul 28, 2014
Hi I have a ps3 going to benq ms500 via the yellow video wire and it all looks good my question is if I use hdmi to vga instead of the yellow video wire will the picture improve much ?

tomym23

Estimable
Jul 28, 2014
Thanks for all the replys just talked to a friend of mine who has a spare hdmi to vga so to end the argument I'll get it from him on Tuesday and try it to see if there is any difference and I'll post back with my findings thanks for all your help

boju

Distinguished
I understand upscaling thanks though, i got confused elsewhere and i am sorry. A friend of mine has a projector with hdmi (I'll ask him again next time i see him as i've probably misheard how it works) thought he said he can change the source to 1080p as i've seen him do and explaining the window inside the projector is 800*600.

Think the confusion came from seeing the 1080p timings in the manual which im not sure about what timings is (i just seen 1080p with component), a friend setting 1080p resolution and getting a display through the projector from the laptop without saying resolution not supported. Guess the projector is down converting, and should have gone about things here differently, i apologize again.

I'm hoping Component might give tomym23 better picture quality compared to RCA

boju

Distinguished
Sorry americanbrian you're right im an idiot lol.

Asked my friend and was confused with his old business projector. That was 4:3 800*600, even though you can put higher res through it, would still only be 800*600 not looking that much different.

Projector he has now is widescreen 1080p which makes sense.

americanbrian

Distinguished
May 3, 2007
No problem dude, I wasn't saying you were an idiot. I just got the feeling that you did not read the links as they are pretty solid explanations. I read both of the links you posted and like I say, it seemed that they supported what I was saying basically. I was getting a little frustrated having bothered to check out your sources when I felt you were not looking at mine. I can see that you have a lot of experience and obviously have helped a lot of people out but when you blaze in saying everything I have said is wrong I at least wanted you to back that up with some solid info.

tomym23

Estimable
Jul 28, 2014
Well I'd like to thank both you guys and apologise for nearly starting something ha ha only jokeing I know you were both trying to help anyway while I do belive you guys and take your info on board I am getting a hdmi to vga cable for free on Tuesday so I will try it out and post the resuresujust to have it documented not that I don't belive anyone but it's free and won't hurt anyone only prove someone right

boju

Distinguished

Good on you, I'll cop it on the chin. I did blaze in and i feel terrible doing that, i did check the links but it didn't sink in and hadn't thought it related to what i was on about which was all wrong anyway. Had a bit to drink so that didn't help anyone so in future i think before type.

And sorry as well to tomym23 for the confusion i caused.

boju

Distinguished

lol you you almost started ww3 :D haha na joking aside you dont need to apologise for anything it was all me.

The component cable might give you a better picture apposed to rca.