PS4Slim AUDIO output to speakers. HELP. Details inside.

Kipia

Prominent
Feb 27, 2017
Hi,
I need to connect PS4 Slim to two speakers(Audio) and TV(Video, mb audio). Speakers have only XLR, TRS and RCA. PS4 Slim has only hdmi out. I have Yamaha HTR-6250, and I connected HDMI from PS4Slim and out to my TV - so it can output video and audio to TV. For audio I've connected two speakers to Yamaha via RCA.
.....And it doesn't work. Tried a few options - still no result.
Any suggestions?

Solution

For now, use an adapter

40422a.jpg

To use headphone out to RCA. That'll work until you can get different speakers

boju

Distinguished
Link to avr (Theres a couple different versions) and speakers please.

If not using normal speaker wire my guess for now the rca out's are on a different channel on your avr. Like a tv with channels hdmi 1, 2 & 3 and av 1, 2 & 3. The channels are separate and not crossover capable.

D

Deleted member 217926

MERGED QUESTION
Question from Kipia : "PS4Slim AUDIO output to speakers. HELP. Details inside."

Kipia

Prominent
Feb 27, 2017

This is exact manual you provided.
Now - how to wire it? I have:
- PS4 HDMI cable into HDMI 1.
- PS3 HDMI in HDMI2.(PS3 just for testing audio).
PS3 Component cable(Red, White and Yellow cables) into AV5.
- RCA cables from both speakers into AUDIO OUT.
- HDMI to TV into HDMI OUT.
I have no effect - HDMI works, but there is no sound.

boju

Distinguished
Hdmi 1 and 2, is that TV or receiver?

PS3 component, what have you done there? red white & yellow connected to receiver is it? Yellow is for video, are you trying to convert via hdmi out to TV?

To my understanding, how i'd set it up is have the PS3 hdmi connected to TV for just video.

Connect av (red and white) cables from ps3 to receiver, any av input. Change receiver channel to the corresponding av input.

In PS3 audio settings, set audio to av analog, it would be set to hdmi digital having an hdmi cable connected to it.

Do you have headphones you can try the receiver with? If you can hear from your headphones the sound is working.

Kipia

Prominent
Feb 27, 2017
No,
HDMI IN 1 is PS4, HDMI IN 2 - PS3;
PS3 RWYs go to Yamaha receiver. But I'M NOT using Yellow (taped it with vinyl tape) - using ONLY White and Red in AUDIO IN 1.
Neither options work. There is no sound from both consoles through receiver.
Again: My goal is connect PS4 - connected ONLY though HDMI IN 1, since it's the only output on console - to Receiver, and Receiver connects to TV - via HDMI OUT - and two Speakers via RCA.

TL;DR: PS4 --HDMI-->
-->RECEIVER ---RCA(Audio)--> SPEAKERS.
*---------------HDMI(Video)---> TV.

For PS3 it's similar if possible.

UPDATE: After tripping through the settings - there is no option to connect analog audio to HDMI on receiver.

boju

Distinguished

RCA speakers wont work with HDMI according to the manual (but i wanted to make sure), only with AV inputs that RCA will work. That was why i suggested you try PS3 with AV audio only so you could see RCA will only work with AV inputs.

If its the case RCA wont work with HDMI sound then you'll need speakers with regular speaker wire.

Did you try headphones?

Kipia

Prominent
Feb 27, 2017

- Headphones - same thing. No sound.
- AV on PS3 to RCA works.
- Probably need regular speaker wire.... To be clear: connecting them to the back of the receiver, and through these HDMI receiver will split the audio out of HDMI into speakers? There is a problem - my speakers Only have XLR, TRS & RCA.
Dumb question: It's those black\red thumb-knobs pairs?

boju

Distinguished

- Headphones - same thing. No sound.
PS4 connected to receiver via hdmi, headphones connected to receiver should work, check they're both connected right.

- AV on PS3 to RCA works.
So we have established RCA speaker out on receiver only works with AV.

- Probably need regular speaker wire.... To be clear: connecting them to the back of the receiver, and through these HDMI receiver will split the audio out of HDMI into speakers?
Yes, speaker wire is the usual setup for home stereo and cinema audio. I to have an receiver with few hdmi devices connected to it and running surround speakers using speaker wire.

Not a dumb question: It's those black\red thumb-knobs pairs?

Yes, a positive and negative connection (red/black) using speaker wire connecting to the speaker's positive and negative terminals. Video below is worth watching, and as the guy mentions in it, most receiver brands have the same type of connections so it'll benefit you.

[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zFs8uSZsCc"][/video]