PSOne Emulator App Pulled from Android Market

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonpwns

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2010
Sounds like someone was paid by Sony. Considering emulators aren't even illegal... Dumb wads at Google. Whatever their app marketplace their rules.

jrharbort

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
[citation][nom]jasonpwns[/nom]Sounds like someone was paid by Sony. Considering emulators aren't even illegal... Dumb wads at Google. Whatever their app marketplace their rules.[/citation]
Emulators aren't "illegal" as long as you physically (or digitally) own the game you are trying to emulate. There are some games and platforms that are exceptions.

I do agree with the timing though. It's highly likely that Sony filed a complaint to Google.

ThisIsMe

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
[citation][nom]jrharbort[/nom]Emulators aren't "illegal" as long as you physically (or digitally) own the game you are trying to emulate.[/citation]

Well, emulators aren't illegal if they do not emulate a product that is patented, sold and protected under law. But then, I guess that's what these emulators do, even if the emulator is a virtual product designed to copy the originally hardware based product.

But maybe you were thinking of the right to make and/or possess multiple copies of your own digital media, having purchased at least one copy of it originally and only possessing exact copies of the purchased version of said media.

Not saying I agree, but that's the way the law is written.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]ThisIsMe[/nom]Well, emulators aren't illegal if they do not emulate a product that is patented, sold and protected under law. But then, I guess that's what these emulators do, even if the emulator is a virtual product designed to copy the originally hardware based product.But maybe you were thinking of the right to make and/or possess multiple copies of your own digital media, having purchased at least one copy of it originally and only possessing exact copies of the purchased version of said media.Not saying I agree, but that's the way the law is written.[/citation]
and the law is written in legaliesse, that no one understands but lawyers, and they charge 500 an hour to explain it to you.

so here is the thing. an emulator isnt illegal, but you cant distribute the bios with it.

sony wants to re sell games that we already own, and thats why it was taken down.

ThisIsMe

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
@ alidan

OK... so I guess you only read the first and last sentences of my comment.

You are right about the bios software not being able to be distributed because that would be like distributing any other copyright protected software.

Now then, emulators are also illegal, but for slightly different reasons. It's because the developers reverse engineer the original product and create a virtual device that uses the same patented technologies that went into the original hardware based product. Now with that being said, I suppose that it is possible to maybe make some weird freak of an emulator that works almost completely differently and using totally different tech yet still runs the same software and utilizes the same firmware. This scenario is so unlikely that it is probably not possible. Even AMD cannot manufacture a CPU that works the same software as Intel without paying Intel for using some of their tech. Again, this holds true even for virtual devices. Even if it is based totally of software and contained completely withing a virtual environment.

Even with products like VirtualPC from Microsoft. They still have to reach an agreement with Intel to use their tech in emulating their products to create a virtual system based on their technology that they have patented.

Again, I have no side here. This is just how it is.

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
HAPPY APRIL FOOLS TOMS HARDWARE
microsoft out did you changing my date to may 1st when the clock rolled over, was trying to figure out how microsoft security essentials said its virus definition was out of date and hadn't been scanned in 7 days yet it had the same definition number when i hit update and had just let it scan the previous night!
ooh hahahahaha very funny microsoft!

magicandy

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2008
This seems pretty clear-cut to me. Sony wants to start charging people to re-buy their PSX games, notices a great Android emulator that may rival/surpass theirs with possibly better features which lets you play PSX games you already own (and easily rip yourself), and decides they want to eliminate the competition. Why let you rip your own games when they can make money by charging you again for games you already own?

Status
Not open for further replies.