PSP2 Will Pack More Horses Than Xbox 360

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Laughable. Not even if this thing required AC power would this be possible in a hand held form factor. We are years away from this kind of horsepower being in a handheld form factor and years beyond that from that sort of power being in a handheld that had any sort of decent battery life.

And we sit here and talk about the Steve Jobs reality distortion field. This is one of the most outrageous things I've heard all year.

williehmmm

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
I think the trick here is that it will be as powerful as a 360, in ratio to it's screen size and pixel count.

My 8.9" screen on my netbook is 1024 x 600 and it is HD enough at the distance my eyes are from the screen. I'm pretty sure the pixel count on the PSP2 will be lower on its 3.7" - 4.1" screen which will normally be closer to the users eyes than a netbook, usually at arms length in fact.

A 360 rendering at 1080p needs to render 2 million pixels, (2 megapixels). at 720p this drops to 0.9 megapixels.

If the screen on the PSP2 is 800 x 470 (0.3 megapixels), it only requires 17% of the CPU/GPU horsepower that the 360 requires to render 1080p, or 33% of what the 360 needs to render 720p.

If the PSP2 screen is 854 x 480 (480p, 0.4 megapixel) then it requires 20% of what the 360 needs to render 1080p or 44% of what the 360 needs to render 720p.

With the advances in efficiency of CPUs & GPUs, improvements and reduced cost of large cache RAM onboard, they run much faster and much cooler than the equivelant chips from 5 years ago. The improvements in battery technology too with more and more devices pushing the boundaries of what can be achieved.

I reckon it's possible, that it will pack more punch, in relation to it's pixel count, than the 360. A mobile CPU that produces 17% of the performance of a 5 year old chip. Moore's law says it is spot on.

williehmmm

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
Also, if you consider the mobile GPUs and CPUs that are going into modern gaming laptops. These are low power, high performance chips. None of what has been said is beyond the realm of possibilty when you transpose current technology to a device with a 4" screen.

Moore's law is relentless. Processing power doubles every 18 months. And graphics processing, at an ever faster rate. I'm sure the PSP2 will cost sony more money than they will be able to sell it for, just like all other consoles, but if it becomes the Holy Grail, must have device, able to game at the highest quality, surf the net, phone, skype, listen to music, watch tv/films, take photos, record video. Then it replaces all the other gadgets and Sony are onto a winner.

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
[citation][nom]jrharbort[/nom]Remember though, Sony DID launch a handheld about 5 years after the PS2, and it had comparable horsepower.The fact they might have a handheld to match, or even beat the 360 after the 5 years it has been released sounds totally feasable. Practical? Maybe not. But we'll see.[/citation]

Moore's Law is more applicable to this situation now than it was back then.

Sihastru

Distinguished
May 4, 2009
The XBOX 360 runs a 3.2 tri-core IBM Xenon CPU. That is a x64 RISC CPU running @ 3.2GHz and it has THREE cores... The Qualcomm they speak of is a single/dual core ARM processor running @ 1GHz maybe (the fastest Qualcomm dual core CPU is running @ 1.5GHz)...

And the RAM, even if it's 512MB, it's DDR3 @ 700MHz (1400MHz)... A Qualcomm has LPDDR1 (Low Power DDR1) so that probably will run @ 166MHz (333MHz)...

And when it comes to the GPU, there's no contest really...

So I'm not sure what "PACKS MOAR HORSES" means for the author of the article, perhaps is jargon for "SMOKES TOO MUCH WEED"...

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
So a product that's not even out will carry the same processing power of a product that's 5 years old? Whoopty doo! Even if we're talking about console to handheld, I'm not impressed.

And I love that stable joke.

drakefyre

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2010
Interestingly enough, the Atom processors have more transistors than the 360's Xenon processor. Not sure about how that translates into actual performance though. Remember, some Atoms have a +2Ghz clock speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.