PSPgo Scores Early Lackluster Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlayerSlayer

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
Didn't selling the PS3 as a home media center for movies, music, etc FAIL as a strategy? Didn't selling the PSP as a movies and music and internet and pictures device FAIL as a strategy, leading to the death of the UMD format? Don't people still ultimately buy playstations as game systems, and not care about tacked on other features that are better done on dedicated hardware?

Now the PSPgo will be less games more media again? Is Sony dense?

duckmanx88

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
i'd like at least one thing to go right for Sony. but its hard to have faith when a company releases red and blue controllers for their Black and White PS3's.

mrubermonkey

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
Maybe if it was also a phone then it would be appealing. It is a shame Sony missed out on such a good opportunity to enter the smart phone market with a devise of its own.

forrestsun

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
They could have done the App Store thing with the first gen PSP, instead of keep blocking the homebrew by updating the system. As much as I enjoyed the various homebrew software for many functions not available from SONY, those are not official there fore lack of support. Short sighted I have to say. Now with the popular ipod touch with its app store, PSP was the multimedia choice of yesterday.

socrates047

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
I have the original release PSP (2005!) and an ipod touch. IMHO, this could attack Apple nice and hard, but only the the touch... the Iphone is way out of its reach. if they put a solid app-store and phone capability, this thing would put Sony up there (a notch below Apple, perhaps).

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
Have none of you owned a PSP before? The current PSP is going to have all of the features and abilities as the PSPgo. Which is why they are not going to stop selling the PSP 3000 when the Go comes out! If you didn't like the Original or subsequent models of the PSP you're not going to like the PSPgo.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Hmmm, I like it. The whole, slide out controller is pretty nifty. Touch screen would have been nice. Or maybe some new "tech" incorporated with it. The iPod Touch was innovative. Sony needs to be lets say, "innovative" as well. Any ideas? Has anyone seen the Zii? With it's stem cell processor (lol). I guess it is a good marketing scheme for a new kind of processor... but atleast it's "innnovative".

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
They needs to consider adding back the UMD Player. They are trying to follow Apple and Nintendo but don't seem to get the whole concept.

At least make an external attachment for people that want backward compatibility with UMD media....

juliom

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009
[citation][nom]forrestsun[/nom]They could have done the App Store thing with the first gen PSP, instead of keep blocking the homebrew by updating the system. As much as I enjoyed the various homebrew software for many functions not available from SONY, those are not official there fore lack of support. Short sighted I have to say. Now with the popular ipod touch with its app store, PSP was the multimedia choice of yesterday.[/citation]
Please stop the "homebrew" BS, it's called PIRACY. I don't believe anyone who says they flash their PSP firmware just so they can use homebrew software. Everyone knows you will just pirate PSP games, just like 90% of PSP users. Give me a break.

amnotanoobie

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
[citation][nom]FlayerSlayer[/nom]Didn't selling the PSP as a movies and music and internet and pictures device FAIL as a strategy, leading to the death of the UMD format? [/citation]

I don't see how the internet, music and picture viewing capabilities relate to UMD, as only movies and games were released on UMD. UMD is just a bit unpopular because it is not actually that portable anymore once you're lugging 10 or 20 of these things at a time. Also UMD kills the battery life of the psp as compared with memory stick loading.

[citation][nom]FlayerSlayer[/nom]Is Sony dense?[/citation]

For a device that has sold 50 million units, the PSP is still making some serious money for Sony.

CR0W M@GN3T

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
They shoulda just made a new PSP, these constant reiterations of the same handheld is getting boring. Plus, with a new PSP they can finally put that second analog "nub" in! Just look at the PSP GO, the second nub should go where the Start and Select buttons are...

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
The sad thing is they have good hardware, it's just poorly managed. No UMD drive means longer batter life which is good, but it's got to have a way to load those to it for existing users.

pender21

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2008
[citation][nom]amnotanoobie[/nom]For a device that has sold 50 million units, the PSP is still making some serious money for Sony.[/citation]

Yes, but I don't see the PSPGo improving sales. I really don't think there are many PSP users that are currently satisfied with the direction the PSP is going. It is obviously not the de facto hardcore gaming platform because it still only has one analog stick. The PS3 is getting a motion control wand because they realized there was a market for that crowd, why can't the PSPGo get a second analog, a touch screen or a phone.

SOny does not need a reiteration of the PSP that costs twice as much, it needs to re evaluate the handheld gaming console market and put out something that people want and won't toss it a few months down the road. When it comes to handhelds, people need a reason to take it with them when they commute. Ipod Touch - Cheap and elegant Music Player. iPhone - Smartphone + Music Player. PSP - not the king of any particular domain and likely never will be at this rate.

I was blow away by the production design and value for some of the iPhone/iTouch games. It really doesn't make sense to buy a bad PSP game for $30, when there are really good titles on the iPod touch that appeal to both casual and hardcore gamers at $10-$20. Rolando 1/2, Critter Cruch, Real Racing (an incredible game with amazing controls). There are also some very simple classic board games that are multiplayer (that use the 3G network or WiFi) that cost nothing at all.

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
[citation][nom]FlayerSlayer[/nom]Didn't selling the PS3 as a home media center for movies, music, etc FAIL as a strategy? Didn't selling the PSP as a movies and music and internet and pictures device FAIL as a strategy, leading to the death of the UMD format? Don't people still ultimately buy playstations as game systems, and not care about tacked on other features that are better done on dedicated hardware?Now the PSPgo will be less games more media again? Is Sony dense?[/citation]

Actually the PS3 is still one of the absolute best Blu-Ray playing devices on the market, only dedicated devices that cost the same or more can compete with the PS3's Blu-ray performance. The only bad thing is it requires LPCM connectivity for audio, but any GOOD receiver has that.

griffed88

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
aaaannndddd still no second analog stick. Seriously, how hard would it be to put a second one in! It's what everyone wants! Sony should listen to its consumers and quit putting out gimped products.

G

ENOUGH OF THESE @#$@ IPHONE RANTS!!! SHEESH!!

What is it with Tom's lately?!?! It seems as if every story has to be something with IPHONE IPHONE IPHONE!!! 'What do people think when they talk on their Iphone?' 'Is it better to be talking gaily on your Iphone while at the movies or while on the bus?' 'Really, what does the average Iphone user think about while taking a dump while talking on their Iphones?...inquiring minds and readers want to know!'

Enough!!

The Iphone will NEVER NEVER be a competitive gaming platform. Its a CELL PHONE!! The PSP is a handheld videogame system. That's its primary purpose! The iphone will never be a serious gaming platform without tactile controls among other things. So please please please STOP comparing or even hinting at Iphone having a chance at competing with the likes of the PSP or DS.

GAH! *Storming off raging about @#$@ cell phone users and their brain cell-frying idiot massagers*

PS: Yes, I despise cell phones and (most) obnoxious and emotionally needy cell phone users!

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
lol!! WTF good is a review that says wait and see!! Thanks for that! i guess ill cancel my preoder for 8 of them that i made before it was announced! OF COURSE i'm going to wait and see! in fact many ppl wait and see THE REVIEWS, To let them know if its for them or not!!

Status
Not open for further replies.