PSVR on PC - Understanding the basics

Nophut

Estimable
Jan 11, 2016
So my son is saving up for a PSVR, as he has read it can be used on PC. I have read the same - regarding the use of Trinius VR. However, knowing little/nothing about VR, I want to understand the limitations of this solution so I understand whether he is wasting his money. Q1) With just the headset, will he still have to use keyboard/mouse to 'move round' in game? Q2) Without the PS4 camera, I am correct that he just wont be able to 'pick up objects' in game? or Q3) Am I correct that with the use of a PS3 Eye and PS3 move controllers he CAN pick up objects in game? Q4) Can he use an XB360/PS3 controller to move around in game with PSVR? Thanks!

Tri23

Respectable
May 31, 2016
I can't answer your questions directly.. but in this case, your son would be better served by purchasing a Oculus Rift.

Without the touch controllers, it is $500. This will be $100 more than a PSVR, but you will get a much better experience, hardware, and it is designed for the PC. (an extra $100 with the touch controllers).

Quick google research shows that the PSVR just works like a floating cinema when hooked up to other platform. This means it will not be 3d, or VR in any way. So, while he can hook it up to the PC, he won't be using it for VR applications.
http://www.techradar.com/news/playstation-vr-sort-of-works-with-the-xbox-one-and-pc

Then again.. somebody might have hacked it and gotten it to work. But in either way, Virtual Reality with the PSVR is not officially supported on the PC.
Best option is to save the extra $100 and get a VR headset, or just use PSVR on the playstation.

Tri23

Respectable
May 31, 2016
Also I feel it is key to note, that VR on the playstation has PC requirements.
So beyond saving for a VR Headset, he might have to save up for a PC upgrade.

I am curious how old your son is now... cause when I was the age when somebody would ask these questions.. my ass was saving up for a car. :p Oh, those bagger/cashier days at FoodLion... what a waste of time. :p

Nophut

Estimable
Jan 11, 2016

Thanks for the reply, but the PSVR in the UK is £350, vs £500 for the OR.
He wont be able to afford an OR any time soon.
And he doesn't have a PS4.

Hence I was enquiring about the limitations of using PSVR with the PC. I want to understand what he can and can't do with the PSVR on a PC, using Trinius VR.
His PC is up to speed for use with this kit.

I have read that Trinius VR supports PS3 Eye and therefore PS3 Move controllers, but wanted to understand what this means to the gameplay, and how one actually moves around in game, using this kit?

Sakkura

Distinguished
Most VR games use either a traditional gamepad (the Xbox 360 controller is fine there) or VR-specific controllers for movement. Keyboard and mouse can be used for some though. The camera or other positional tracking system isn't really used for movement so much, at least not beyond being able to take a step or two within the tracked area in your room.

Whether the Playstation Move controllers could be used as tracked motion controllers for PC games run through Trinus... I really don't know. They would have some limitations though, since the button layout and shape of the controller is totally different. And whether Trinus is any good with this setup, I also have no idea.

If it was my money, I'd keep it and maybe try to save up the extra for an Oculus Rift. Or maybe the other VR headsets that are coming this year.

Tri23

Respectable
May 31, 2016
Ooookkaaaay... looking at http://www.trinusvirtualreality.com/psvr/

This is straight up indie-modding. There is a long tech part on getting PSVR and controllers working with this.
I'm going to make the assumption that your son is highly tech savy and likes messing with experimental stuff.

Looking at the questions you asked in the original post, (sorry), these are not the right questions you want to ask.
Main Question: Has anybody gotten this to work?
Secondary: How well does it work with VR application?

Oooh! Tom's Hardware did a nice article on it!
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/psvr-on-pc-trinus-psvr,33461.html

>> "Trinus PSVR is experimental, beta software, so don’t expect a walk in the park. I ran into several problems trying to get the PSVR to work with SteamVR that left me scratching my head."

SO! In conclusion... if your son is willing the risk of buying hardware for a BETA software package, then go right ahead. Me personally? HELL NO! That is risky as hell, if you haven't seen somebody else get it to work, and know the reviews.

But yeah.. read the Tom's article. It goes decently in depth.

And again.. I'd recommend your son save his $$$. Of course, you might tell him that and he'll be all, "YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND MY YOUTH CULTURE!"
And you'll respond exasperated, "What are you even rebelling against?"
And your son will reply, "What'cha got?"

Nophut

Estimable
Jan 11, 2016

Hi Tri -

Yes, I had a read the Toms article on Trinius VR - thanks. I have also read a number of other articles on this, and the consensus seems to be that it 'works'.

My son is pretty tech savvy with 'indie' stuff like this, and in fact has previously got the earlier Trinius VR software successfully working previously, for his cheap Phone VR headset, and we built his gaming PC together.

I just wanted to understand the in-game limitations, as I don't really fully appreciate the difference between moving in-game (traversing the in-game environment), and the motion tracking properties of the headset via the camera (as I understand it there are lights on the front of the PSVR that are tracked by the PS Eye).

If he can traverse the game environment using a controller, and the motion tracking element is not vital, then I am reasonably happy.

For me, VR is in its infancy, and so the less spent on it right now, the better. It is only going to get better and cheaper in the coming months / years. The OC and HTC-V are waaay too expensive, and if PSVR works on the PC, then it is a cheaper alternative (though still far to much to be investing at this stage, in my opinion - but it is his money, and these youths have to learn these lessons).

Sakkura

Distinguished
The positional tracking of the headset is more about getting the right view than using it for moving around. The tracking is still quite important, because it helps a lot with VR sickness.

If you're worried about cost, it still seems wiser to wait for some of the cheaper headsets that are likely coming to PC this year.

Nophut

Estimable
Jan 11, 2016

Hi Sakkura -

So the tracking changes the 'view'?

So if there's no camera and therefore no tracking, does this mean when you move your head in game, the view does not change? Does it therefore require movement of the mouse/controller to 'look around' in game? If so, this renders the headset nothing more than a static screen attached to your face?

Sakkura

Distinguished
There are still IMUs (gyroscope etc) in the headset that can track the rotation. But not position. So looking around works mostly okay, but if you move your head around more, you can get pretty sick.

It's the same way VR works with mobile phones, like Samsung's GearVR.

Nophut

Estimable
Jan 11, 2016

And what are the cheaper headsets coming out later this year that you mentioned? For PC?