Psystar Mac Clones Coming With Blu-ray Bags of Hurt

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Since when has apple been concerned with burdening their customers with a high cost for anything???

chaohsiangchen

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
[citation][nom]256gej[/nom]Since when has apple been concerned with burdening their customers with a high cost for anything???[/citation]

They don't want to pay SONY for blu-ray license, and don't want to purchase after market blu-ray device to taint their Apple Inc. logo. Therefore, Apple Inc.'s customers get shafted.

69camaroSS

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2006
Think again, Sony! RDM is going to simplify and undercut you starting 1Q 2009, and they are just one competing technology. Blue-ray is too complicated and expensive; concerning that Jobs was right. Once HD players start coming out at sub $100 price point, comsumers will forget Blue-ray and Sony will suffer the same demise as 8 tracks.

As far a Psystar: Give me a homebuilt computer with Efix attached to it over a cheap computer from a company who's tech support, location, and legal chances are non-existant. What they should be doing is contracting with Efix to sell their devices with their computers. Psystar's solution is a hack job OSX that will require continuous updates from a company with very little future.

G

Umm 69camaroSS.....
High def dvd's have been frozen for almost 6 months now. They aren't being made anymore.

So have fun with the HD player of yours.

wymer100

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2007
This drive will actually only be useful for data storage. MacOSX doesn't support watching BluRay movies, yet. I don't think there are any 3rd-party solutions, either. Roxio Toast 9 does support creating your own BR movies.

vider

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
[citation][nom]69camaroSS[/nom]Think again, Sony! RDM is going
to simplify and undercut you starting 1Q 2009, and they are just one
competing technology. Blue-ray is too complicated and expensive;
concerning that Jobs was right. Once HD players start coming out at
sub $100 price point, comsumers will forget Blue-ray and Sony will
suffer the same demise as 8 tracks.[/citation]

Ok dude, I don't know where you have been living for the past year
or so... but I haven't seen any new titles coming out for HD-DVD
for the last year or so.

Sony won the war, as Toshiba dropped the HD-DVD format.

I think it's a good idea Apple starts selling their OS X to 3rd
party companies (Not just any company but companies with good
reputation, very good costumer relationship and sales.) That
might actually help apple to be more "famous" around the globe
and help it look as a non monopolistic company.

G

"Not only is there fully functional and mature support for Blu-ray in other operating systems..."
Like what? Windows requires a third-party application to play them (Vista SP2 adds native Blu-ray writing, but honestly, who cares?), and it will NEVER be legally implemented in Linux/BSD due to their open sources not complying with Blu-Ray's anal DRM.

G

And what software do you plan on watching your movie with in OSX? lol

bounty

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
I thought ADR was a process where the parties "try to work things out before going to court" In other words, ADR isn't necessarily final. There is a good chance if both parties are stubborn (and look who they are) then it would still go to court. So I think you should change the wording to "try to settle" to avoid confusion.

eltouristo

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2006
Its such an obvious lie by Jobs he should be ashamed. Saying its best for the customers is such a load. Underlying licensing,DRM and other issues that keep people like JObs from adopting are obviously a bunch of BS too. Talk about biting nose to spite face. no shortage of stupidity anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.