Purchase Converter Box for Comcast Digital Cable

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

u4s

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
Excellent Discussion! - Nonetheless, A Work-Around To All This For Us At The Moment Is To Drop Cable TV Altogether And Go OTA (Over-The-Air) - After All, We Mostly Enjoy PBS-TV (OTA), NASA-TV (Internet), Closed-Circuit Programs (DVD Players), Radio, Newspapers/Magazines, Piano Playing, Outdoor Fun, etc - Much, Much Less Ads (Nearly Half Of All "TV Viewing Time" These Days?) - Saves Big Bucks - Much, Much Better Life Experiences - For Us In Any Regards - Enjoy! :)

Related Links --
For TV Antenna Information, See http://antennaweb.org.

For Thousands Of FREE TV Channels Available On The Internet, See http://wwitv.com and/or http://worldtvpc.com.

Moontock

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
With all this said, I just bought a new QAM capable digital Vizio brand TV. I receive all the digital and HD and duplicative analog channels. COMCAST is unsure if and when they will encrypt their signals;so my DTA [DIGITALTRANSPORT ADAPTER (Mr. Spock!)] sits and waits. I re-mapped my digital channels, e,g, 71-1, 83-1413, 80-10, so i don't need to worry about remembering my old channel numbers. My digital channels are almost HD like and I picked up two or three extra channels not available on the big downstairs HD with the expensive HD/DVR box (like $20 a month!). When they encrypt, my digital channels will eventually turn back to analog and I will have to use the A/B switch configuration to receive local HD channels....at least I'll be able to still watch local HD!!! The CoMCAST FAQ explains the A/B set-up.

With that said, I believe the crooks at Adelphia cable had it right. They ripped everyone off, kept investors money and pocketed customer's payments rather that invest it back in the company. They just got it over with and went straight to JAIL!!! Big time; like 70 year sentences!!! It's exactly what will happen to these COMCAST execs. It's clear - and enough people have commented on this - that they are simply trying to get everyone to rent the monthly digital HD box at $5.99/month. And like Tiger hiding and misrepresenting the truth, just say what it is. They are indeed using the digital conversion mandated by the FCC for BROADCAST stations to confuse and mislead COMCAST customers. Granted, these "DIGITAL TRANSPORT ADAPTERS" do transform analog TV's into sets of 1990's beauty...but face it...you can get a new digital HD TV for $150 bucks. DO what someone said above....advertise that you DON"T need a box with the COMCAST service if you have a new digital HD TV and market your services that way - rather than trying to scam us with this DTA garbage that "we need the space for increased bandwidth and faster internet service." The Internet is fast enough already.

Just go to jail now like the Adelphia crooks and get it over with already. This is criminal and you know it. And I agree, that not one COMCAST rep can give you the correct answer; or even a consistent answer. Go to jail now, save us the time, confusion and litigation and let FIOS, Direct TV or DISH network take over. My goodness...

squarenickel

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009

Comcast has just removed "Tru", channel 33, from it's analog lineup.

Bosasard

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
I am not sure what area you live in but in southern New Jersey Comcast has converted alll the channels above 23 in my area to digital only. I receive 1 through 23 in analog and digital. I have to use a DTA (digital transport adapter) to decrypt channel 24 and above.

They do not charge for use of a DTA unless you have more than two units. If they want to charge you for a box it is probably not a DTA but instead a digital set top box that has more programming capability than a DTA. I would check into it.

I think they make a DVD recorder that it digital ready. Amazon.com may be a good place to look for one.

sirccchar

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2009
does anyone know if i can just buy a black motorola comcast cable box from craigslist and use it as a qam tuner for the digital channels to an old analog tv? I currently have a hdtv that picks up like over 100 clear qam digital channels from comcast limited basic cable since it has an internal qam tuner. will a comcast cable box do the same thing for an analog tv? or does it need to be programmed by comcast?

newstart

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2009

I'm having the same problem as Kathy. I understand what you're saying about using the cable remote to change the channels, but the whole reason I record is that I can't be there to change channels! If I'm home and have time to change channels, I might as well watch the TV instead of recording. If I go out (whether for an evening, a weekend, or longer) and want to record shows at different times on different channels, I can't do that. It's really frustrating.

The only solution Comcast gave me was to rent a DVR from them for $16/mo (plus tax) - that's more than $200/yr. After 5 years, it would cost me $1000 to have the ability to record channels without being home to push buttons on the Comcast remote. I think it's ridiculous enough to pay the monthly fee for cable access and the cable boxes. I would love to find a solution to this problem, even if it means dropping Comcast. I just don't know if any other company (including satellite options) would allow me to do what I want without going broke.

@newstart,

I think there is an option somewhere in set up that tells the STB to change channels when a recording is about to begin. I just tested it with my STB. I set up a VCR recording (even though I don't have a VCR) on a channel different from the one I had on. About a minute before the recording was to start, I received a message reminder with an option to change or not change channels. I did nothing and at the time the recording was to start, it automatically changed channels.

Note, I do not have a DVR version of their STB.

-Wolf sends

newstart

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2009

If I can do this, I'll be SOOO happy! I'll have to give it a try....

newstart

newstart

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2009
I found out bad news. I called Panasonic, and the only way I can do this is if I have what I would call a programmable cable box, which I don't. The cable box has to be manually changed to whatever channel I want to record. That defeats the purpose of recording the shows - if I was around to change the channels, I could probably just watch the shows when they were being broadcast.

Anyway, the only option they gave me was to rent a DVR from them, which is over $200 per year. That really adds up, especially over the years. I'm already paying way too much to get cable anyway. I only watch a few shows, and not that often. My bill keeps going up, and things keep getting more and more inconvenient.

Oh - they also mentioned TiVo, but I read up about that. If I purchase it outright, it's hundreds of dollars (which I can't afford). Or I can buy it for a few hundred and then pay like $13/month (not much better than the DVR option).

It really irritates me that they keep talking about giving the customer more, but all they're doing for me is raising the cost and taking away the features that matter to me!

Thanks for trying to help, though.....

newstart

G

Comcast doesn't allow QAM service in Northern California markets. This means that even if your new flat screen is capable of ATSC/QAM tuning, you CAN NOT receive free digital programming from Comcast using your flat screen tuner. You should however still be able to receive basic and perhaps expanded basic analog programming.

If you want the basic style of digital on screen menu program guides:

Comcast offers their bottom level digital cable tuner box that provides digital programming by connecting to the TV via composite (the yellow rca connector) and basic stereo (the red and white rca connectors). This is just standard definition (VCR/DVD quality) video being sent to your brand-new tv. Comcast also offers digital tuner boxes (for the extra tvs in your house) that are even more insulting - only outputing via the old ch 3,4 method.

But Guess what? The above mentioned Comcast-provided boxes do NOT pass-thru the basic cable analog signals to your TV. This is where I think a lot of people are getting confused.

If you want to change channels using your television remote, AND if you want to watch some of the additonal freebie channels via the digital cable box (you have to use the Comcast remote for those and switch your TV to AV input) - you'll need to stick a cable splitter in there to allow the tv to bypass the cable box.

Unless you want to be able to use on-demand services and unless you like on-screen menu guides and you don't mind standard definition programming - - then there is NO reason to use Comcast's equipment.

Boy that was long winded.

Note that nothing I mentioned above refers to high-definition digital cable. For that you then most certainly pay a premium for a high-definition cable box with component output or hdmi cable output.

G

I don't have an antenna. I discontinued my pay cable service. How can I receive basic broadcast tv?

Go to AntennaWeb.org and enter your zip code (uncheck any offers to receive junk). Click ok. This will bring you to a map of your local area. Click continue to see what digital channels are available to you. If you deem it worth the trouble, go get an indoor antenna for your TV.

-Wolf sends

marv88

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010

I followed your suggestion using an old VHS VCR, connected the coax cable out from the Comcast HDTV receiver using a splitter to the VHS VCR input to use its tuner to connect to a 2nd analog TV in the kitchen.
Set the VCR to L1 so it accepts the coax video input. Problem: Do not have access to the HDTV receiver front panel in the kitchen so cannot use the Comcast IR remote control to change channels on kitchen TV. Comcast Remote has been programmed to Control the TV (on/off) and the VCR(on/off) but do not know how to change channels using the VHS tuner.

Appreciate your help.

G

The only issue I have with the Comcast digital conversion is that I've lost control of my TV. The TV turns on with the original remote but it no longer controls channels or volume (or anything else). The remote that came with the converter box controls the channel but not the volume (or anything else). I have to use the controls on the TV itself to control the volume -- then it's the same for every channel, and not every channel has the same default volume setting.

How do I get back control of my TV???

Stephen in Seattle

The remote that came with the converter box isn't talking to your tv, and it would also seem that it's set for the TV to control volume rather than the cable box (usually better, unless your tv speakers are lousy and you have external speakers hooked up through your cable box like I do-- don't ask). The cable remote can absolutely be programmed. Call with a lot of patience. They can find the codes and talk you through which buttons to hold down at the same time for 3-seconds yada yada to enter the "programming mode", but it will probably take time to find the right codes -- and there are probably 20 possibilities for your brand of tv, you just go through them one at a time until you get to the one that works. The "magic" code to unlock the volume-controlled-by-tv will be harder for them to find (and once your remote is talking to your tv, you might not care), and there really might be simple settings that you can change (as in, the "control volume via cable box" feature might not be locked down and might not even need the magic code). For an SA box/remote, that code is 993. But, you're probably on Motorola... and then all bets are off. Good luck.

Briar

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
I see a lot of people complaining that new DVR systems won't schedule channel changes. I'm curious, has anyone tried learning remotes or a computer & IR blaster to control the boxes? There are remotes that will not only copy an IR signal from another remote but can also be scheduled to send it. Likewise there are computer programs that will do the same thing provided you have an IR reader & sender. These could be used as a way of getting around the lack of such controls in the DVR boxes.

Also, for those that are noticing that some Comcast channels above the analog 1-22 channels still come in with QAM tuners: I've been told that Comcast is still in the process of scrambling all of their channels. I get a number of channels like Cartoon Network and the History channel on my QAM set without a tuner box provided I do a channel scan on the Comcast feed. The trick is that they don't show up as the channel listed by Comcast. For instance Cartoon Network is channel 79-2. There is also no guarentee on how long these will be available since eventually Comcast plans to shut all of these away behind the scrambled signal block.

Finally, for those with QAM tuners, in many areas the View On Demand shows are often broadcast in the clear to entire 'subnet' areas rather than going to a specific house. This means that if someone is watching a View On Demand show on your area's 'subnet' then you can often watch it too.

pmcphee

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
All my TV's are new (past year) HDTV, Comcast desided to go with the 20 percent of HDTV's that was not recommended by the National Board.

Because in Mass they are not allowed to charge per TV in a house hold, so this is Comcast's work around.

Call Department of Telecommunications and Cable
For Consumer Complaints:
(800) 392-6066 or (617) 305-3531.

http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=ocaagencylanding&L=4&L0=Home&L1=Government&L2=Our+Agencies+and+Divisions&L3=Department+of+Telecommunications+and+Cable&sid=Eoca

RaymondDay

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
Started to get this message on my TV yesterday:

"If you can see this message, the TV you're watching doesn't have the equipment needed for Comcast's digital network enhancement.

Go to www.comcast.com/digitalnow or call 1.877.634.4434 to avoid service interruption."

I went to the web page and can get a converter box for free.

Found this on Wicapeda:

"CECBs (Coupon-eligible converter boxes) will not work on these systems because cable ATSC uses 256QAM modulation instead of 8VSB, and so a separate but similar DTA with a QAM tuner is necessary."

So looks like it's just a cable converter box. All most the same as the Coupon-eligible converter boxes. But for cable not over the air.

On there web page it looks like one of the over the air converter boxes.

Here is a red message from Comcast I got off my old TiVo.

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l41/RaymondDay/TiVo/Comcastdigitalnetworkmessage.jpg

-Raymond Day

pmcphee

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
Raymond,

Thanks for the reply, but your first 2 DTA's are free, if you need more boxes there is a charged.

Also the DTA's that Comcast is using, they DSP's are slower than most of the HDTV's out there. So when changing channel (Channel Surfing) is will be slower.

Also the remote that comes with most High end HDTV have a lot of functions, but the DTA's remote is limited functions (cheap). They do list some TV’s , but not all of the TV's out there. SO the consumer will need to spend time programming like we did with the remotes in the 80's.

On a note why Comcast is doing this, they are limited in bandwidth, max I believe is 1 Gig on the street coaxial. Yet the FiSO is designed to handle 100Gig on the street Fiber. So they need to compress the Video more for more channels, because they are losing a 1-2, (for every new customer they lose 2, some places it is a 1-3).

It is my understanding that this is the first, more requirements to come, more extra. They have been running high in the TV market, and now they need to compete. Cost will need to compete, but their investors want more money.

pmcphee

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
On your note about the decoder, their switch can handle both, but comcast decided to lock it down so you need their DTA.

G

did you ever get your cable box? I bought one on ebay from a comcast user who switched to satellite. It's the identical Scientific Atlanta box that Cox uses but somehow they know it's not theirs so all I get is a screen with an 800 # to call and be told I have to rent from them. Seems illegal, especially under the present administration that just wants the rich to get richer and let's the cable companies do whatever they want to make more money.

If Comcast would allow you to use it, I'm only asking $20 + shipping from Mesa, az, 85207. Mike fortunare@cox.net

Mike do you still have this converter lying around? I need one.

Stan

Status
Not open for further replies.