Putting my turntable far away from my receiver ? ? cable length

ebayshmebay

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
Hey all, I want to set my turntable up on the opposite side of the room as my amp, speakers, and other componets. I want to run the audio cable along the floor, over a doorway, around a corner, etc so I want it to be a relatively thin gauge as to make it low-profile. Will running a long audio cable (40 feet i estimate) from the turntable to the amp affect the sound quality much? I was thinking I'd get a spool of wire and put RCA connectors on the ends myself. What kind of wire do you recomend I use? Would regular speaker wire do?

G

The signal from the turntable cartridge is pretty tiny and even if it survives a long journey there may be equalisation effects and interference issues.

Solution is probably to buy a turntable cartridge pre-amp ( these are fairly common accessories as many new receivers don't bother with a phono input) and feed that into the receiver's line input (e.g. tape input).

To hook the pre-amp up to the receiver you'll need a stereo screened lead.

Speaker wire isn't screened so will produce a strong hum.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
V Audio 1
K Audio 2
J Audio 1
A Audio 1
L Audio 1
T Audio 1
A Audio 2
I Audio 7
M Audio 1
D Audio 5
J Audio 2
B Audio 3
N Audio 3
V Audio 1
P Audio 6
1 Audio 2
V Audio 1
M Audio 1
M Audio 1
S Audio 5
Similar threads
Question earphones not working when putting them in my ears (read discription)
Question Optical cable to AV out put
Solved! I have an echo input. Where do I put the cable in my bose lifestyle equipment to make it play music through all my wired spea
my earbuds are wireless but the right earbud wont put out sound only the left one.
Solved! which color slots do u put the pink and green wires in for a head set to work for xbox 360
how to conect to audio out put
Microphone only records when I put it infront my mouth and when I increase the volume, then I record only loud static.
Totally not knowledgeable - want an mp3 player that I can put my mp3 files on and listen
I put a pattern & cannot remember it. Im trying to save all the stuff on the lg aristo i went to find my device & locked it th
Is amp necessary if home system puts out 1000 watts at 3 ohms?
Putting Onkyo TX-SV515PRO into bridged mode
I have a DVD disc that gets picture but no sound. When I put other DVD disc in I get picture and sound. Some reason this part
How do you tell if a speaker puts out 5.1 sounds?
When i put my MP3 on its flasing colours, don't know how to start it
How to put an aux input in old stereo
Subwoofer with in put and out puts plugs
my sound system is totally ok but not giving the out put
I have a 50 inch Vizio TV I'm trying to hook up a soundbar it only has barewire no Jack's how do i put jacks on
how to get original 5.1 out put in chrome?
Hallo, i have the 32LJ510U LG TV with out any out put ports, how do i connect this to my sound Bar?? Pliz help!!!!

ASK THE COMMUNITY