Qosmio X870-BT3G23 - How to access "hidden" RAM slots under keyboard.

james924

Honorable
Mar 6, 2013
Can anyone provide any advice, tips, warnings, photos, video, or detailed instructions on how to access the two RAM slots under the keyboard on the Qosmio X870-BT3G23? I need access to all 4 RAM slots to upgrade to 32 but two of them are under the keyboard. I know I'll void the warranty, want to do it as safely as possible.

Any help at all would be appreciated.

thirtyseven10

Honorable
Feb 12, 2013
The keyboard is just snapped in place. I took a credit card and inserted it in between the keyboard and the computer at the spacebar, then just started moving it left to right carefully lifting it as I moved. The bottom of the keyboard is covered by foil, so use caution not to tear it. Once you get the keyboard snapped out, lift it out slowly because it has two belts attached to it. There is a clear piece of plastic covering the ram. Lift it off and add the new ram. Replace the clear plastic and snap the keyboard back in place. A note of caution, the keyboard is sort of thin so be gentle when pullin up on it.

Legohouse

Honorable
May 13, 2013
Hello,:hello:

You cannot access two of the slots as it is restricted for the user.

Note: User’s upgrading after purchase may only access 2 of the 4 memory slots, located in the base of the computer. Slot 1&2 will accept 8GB modules.

I think the other two slots can only be used by the Toshiba Technicians and so try contacting the Toshiba support. I also believe the memory in the restricted slots can be pre-built I'm not sure but anyway you could ask them. Hope that answers your query.

You can find the Note in the following PDF - http://cdgenp01.csd.toshiba.com/content/product/pdf_files/detailed_specs/qosmio_X870-BT3G23.pdf

Cheers!! :hihi:

Frederico Cunanan

Honorable
Jun 26, 2013
Hello! :)

Remove the CD/DVD ROM screw located at the back (You have to open the back cover to do this). Press the keyboard Ctrl key inside the CD/DVD ROM bay and gently pull the keyboard out. Observe that pulling the keyboard out would be easier in this sequence, you take off the 1st bottom lock then 1st upper lock until you reach the last lock.
After removing the keyboard gently pull off the plastic that covers the RAM so you can put it back.

-- Fred :bounce: