Question about 9 cell batteries, also optimus on laptops...

savatage79

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
So heres the situation, I got an XPS from Dell...this to be exact:

Processor: Intel Core i7-2630QM processor (2.00 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 2.90 GHz)
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium
XPS L702X
500 GB SATA Hard Drive (7200 RPM)
500 GB SATA Hard Drive (7200 RPM) 2nd Drive
8 GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz (2 DIMMs)
6X Blu-ray (BD-RE)
NVIDIA GeForce GT 550M 1GB graphics

And first thing im curious about is optimus, this didnt have it. But a friend was mentioning it and im wondering if im going to do some gaming on it which i am...is optimus a must?

Also are 9 cell batteries a nice upgrade? This thing came with a 6 cell and i dont get much out of a 6 cell...and what confuses me is how some of these laptops with almost the same setup have 9 cell batteries.

Im getting while just surfing it seems 2 hours even on balanced or power saver, that doesnt even seem right or is it? Im new to laptops...this thing is mainly for school and some leisure, but i like a machine to have some guts too it as well.

Let me know guys, thanks.

Hello

Optimus is not a requirement. It's a battery saving feature that will power down the dedicated graphics card and use the HD 3000 IGP graphics on the CPU - when the graphics card is not needed.
But Dell is saying that all XPS 17 702X models with GT 550M graphics card have Optimus.
http://www.dell.com/us/p/xps-l702x/pd
ss077.jpg

Battery life also depends on what you're doing at the time, so getting 2hrs on Balanced and 2hrs on Power Saver might not be that unusual.

savatage79

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
Im not to worried about the weight really...im a lifter so it feels fairly light in comparison :p but that aside, i just need some mobility with it and for now i got Dell sending me a 9 cell.

I just think a machine of that calibur should have a 9 cell to begin with.

The thing that was bugging me was on balanced or power saver, just surfing the web which i wouldnt think sucks that much juice out, would last longer...heaven forbid i try to run a movie or something unplugged.

Hopefully this 9 cell gives me a decent bit more life unplugged. Other than that, they seem like solid machines.