Question about encryption

Cvdasf

Estimable
Aug 15, 2014
I was looking at this website here http://encryption-software-review.toptenreviews.com/
I see all these different encryption software. Besides ease of use ect whats the difference between the different types of encryption? for example the different bit sizes and names. Also is there a way to just encrypt a whole drive so you dont have to constantly encrypt each new file?

danny2000

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
In general, most people don't encrypt their drives; This is usually used, for the vast majority of the time, by businesses.
Some home users might do it on their laptops in case their laptop gets stolen or left somewhere....

In general, the whole hard drive is encrypted and new files are automatically encrypted.

If you have Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate; It has BitLocker. I believe that Windows 8 and above has it is in all versions.

The higher the encryption level in bits, the harder it is supposed to be to crack.

If you are not at all mobile with your device, I would advise against using encryption on your hard drives. There is small performance hit with encryption, but most people won't notice that fact.

ex_bubblehead

Distinguished

Slight correction. Only Windows 7 Ultimate and Enterprise include BitLocker.

danny2000

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010

Thanks.

Cvdasf

Estimable
Aug 15, 2014

So how do i go aboyt encrypting a drive if i wanted to?